I am now a U.S. Soldier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amber

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I am back. Finally :)
I graduated basic on 26 Aug and I am now at Ft. Eustis, VA for my AIT as an Apache Repairer.

Basic was a lot easier than I expected it to be. Don't get me wrong, there were some rough spots of course. But I did not encounter anything that I was unable to do, and do well.

My final PT test score was a 274. I was a bit miffed about that. I was only 16 situps away from maxing my entire test. I maxed out my push ups with 43 and I maxed out my 2 mile run with a time of 15:20. My running abilities have greatly imporved since I first got in.

I loved the gas chamber. They got some really good pictures of my comming out of it, coughing, spitting, my nose was oozing and I couldn't see a dang thing. I truly enjoyed it :) I had a sinus infection at that time so it helped in...removing it.

I got jipped on my BRM qualification. My 100 and 150 meter targets were broken and weren't regestering my hits. I got so frustrated because I thought I wasn't hitting them. I figured, how could I hit all of my 300 meter targets and not hit a single 100 or 150. They figured out the problem though and just gave me an automatic marksmen. I was upset but I qualified. I'll do better when I re-qual in 6 months. I did get expert on my grenades though. I was really happy about that. Throwing that live grenade was a big thrill. I was a bit shocked at how loud they actually are.

Hurricane Charlie messed up our US Weapons day. I got to fire off the M-249 SAW and that was it. We never got to see and AT4, a claymore or the grenade launcher go off.

Victory Forge...well it sucked. We did the 10K road march out there and stayed 4 days and 3 nights in the field. The second night, we were attacked by our drills. We got one of them to release their weapon and I was a member of the group guarding him. I heard movment to my left rear out in the field so I told the rest of the line to keep an eye on that area. Well, they didn't and they let another Drill come up behind me and grab me. We ended up on the ground wresteling for a while. I poped him really good in the ribs and ensured that he didn't get my weapon from me. One of my team members then ran up and decided to shoot him and ended up shooting both me and the drill, so I died that night. The next night, the drills went all out on us. They attacked all night and were bombarding us with CS gas. We ended up, no joke, tieing our first sgt up to a tree and gaging him. We also had 2 other drills tied up to trees and 9 prisoners from other platoons. It took 12 of us to hold our first sgt down. I loved it. I died that night too because a drill threw a flash bang onto our line. Well one idiot decided to yell gas so we all doned our M-40 masks. By the time I got mine on and looked up, there was a very large man standing next to me...and he shot me in the face. It was the same kid each night that got me killed.

All in all, it was a great experiance. Going through it, it seemed to never end but looking back on it, it went by quickly.

I now have AIT to get through. I graduated from here on 17 Dec and from there...who knows. I put in for Ft. Campbell as my main CONUS station. If I go there, I can get my Warrent Officer packet together in as little as 2-3 months because I already have my reccomendation.

I hope everything here has been going well in my absence. I am REALLY looking forward to doing some catch up reading on here and to get back into the water. I might have to get dry suit qual to dive here though :)

Amber

Take good care of that chopper. Those of us who flew/fly them really, really relied/rely on you guys to keep us airborne. They can't fly without you. You hold their lives in your hands, don't ever forget that.
Spent 2 tours in Viet Nam flying for the 1st Cav division. I hold the crew chief and maintenance crews in the highest of regard.

Congratulations. Sounds like you had fun!!!

congrats, and good luck with ati

Best of Luck Amber in AIT. Now they will start treating you like a human again :).

We are proud of all of you GI's

*this thread makes me angry, wasting my energy fighting with ppl who think differently*

Daphne wrote:
" think it's great what you're doing and your post is very interesting, but aren't you scared that your president will send you off somewhere to die? or do you not mind that?"

. . . it comes with the territory.

Congratulations! I wish I were strong enough (physically, mentally, and emotionally) to do that. I wish you all the best in AIT.

Congrats soldier! Best of luck to you, go get 'em!
Thanks in advance for any contributions you will surely make in support of our country.
In spite of all the controversy out there I'll always respect the military for protecting my country, my family. It's because of you and others that my kids are safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom