I bought some GEAR!! Ughh, please make me feel good about the $thousands I dropped!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the computer thats the one that I am looking at getting and I can't seem to find it for less than a grand.

Congrats on the equipment.

Good goin'. If you weren't totally committed to diving before you sure should be now. You'll never regret buying good equipment up front. Just like any tool, if you go with quality stuff you'll never have to wonder what its like to use the good stuff.

stevezak:
Ya know how in life ya go into the car dealer, TV store, etc. And "for a few dollars more you can get .." Well, that was me, WITHOUT any pressure from the dive folks at the shop. I just kept seeing what I could get and before ya know it, ughhh . So, here's what I got. And before you read this, you have to know that I haven't EVEN dived yet, I'm going to Cozumel this Sunday.

Oceanic Delta III Regulator. The most common sense purchase of all of them. On sale, with student discount, about $318. It seems like a great reg and tested high. Good company, etc.

But THEN ... BCD = Scubapro S tek (Vtek??) back bouyancy with alternate air source integrated with BCD inflator. I believe in my Dive Instructor's notion that if anyone is out of air, they are coming at yours in your mouth, and so your alternate is right there. Plus less hoses. And I purchased with one goal, (besides quality-safety-etc) STREAMLINE!! Ok, that was about $618 with discount and octo integrated with LPI.

But then, after Dacor Tiger Fins, which are great and about $180 before discount, and Shadow mask, which is HIGHLY rated and $79 or so - then comes the dive computer.

I got the Aladin Air Z-02 UWATEC $950 - my discount (so about $850). This thing is air inetgrated, nitrox ready, hoohaaa, it even makes you orange juice before the dive.

Did I do wrong, was I over zealous? was I a bad boy? Help??

Steve

I have the Aladin Z NITROX , I got it on ebay, brand new for $500.00 , certified by scubapro. The box price is $ 1200.00 ..
Just lucky I guess. I love it.. You will too..
Rest of the gear sounds good, you'll have to report after your next trip, enjoy.

Mike

Congratulations on acquiring your gear. Now what you've got to do is see how fast you can wear it out (which translates to dive, dive, dive...)

Oh, and ditto what mcm007 said; looking forward to your trip report.

That's ALL you bought so far??? My friend, you have only scratched the surface...

Congrats on making the plunge!

Remember, that no matter what you bought, or what you paid, someone will tell you that it is crap or that you paid too much or they got theirs for a better price, or blah blah blah. If you are happy, then that is what matters most.

If you can afford a trip to Cozumel after you bought everything, then you didn't pay too much!

Treat your gear with great respect, and protect it from the elements and from idiots. Take good care of your gear, and it will take care of you, and last a good long time.

Some people believe that if you buy high end gear from the beginning, you will save money by not having to upgrade in a couple years. It is different for everyone. If you dive a lot, the investment will "pay off" quicker.

Knowing the condition, features and locations of your gear is excellent compared to rental gear. (take a look at what the dive op in Cozumel rents - some are good, but some are borderline scary) Also, a couple years ago I had a leak in a dump valve on my BC while visiting Florida. I had to use a rental while mine was being repaired. I was not nearly as comfortable using a "different" BC, and I lost a pair of gloves on a night dive when I discovered that the rental BC pockets were . . how to explain it . . not closed at the bottom.

Other people believe that if you are a new diver, you don't even yet know what you want or need. Since they aren't paying your Visa bill, they can just MTOB!

BTW, I also bought a ScubaPro BC with an AIR II for the same reasons. It has served me well, but sometimes I wonder whether it was a smart move or not. Now I will probably need to buy an "Octo" when I get a BP/W set up. Oh well.

Now you need to check everything carefully, dive safely, maintain everything properly, and report back us how excellent everything is working out for you, and what a great time you had in Cozumel!

Good luck, and have fun!

Wristshot

Well said Wristshot, If that don't make him feel better I don't know what would.
But he could have at least thought about a BP/Wing. :wink:

please note that this tread was started

02-20-2001...I'm sure the report is somewhere

justleesa:
please note that this tread was started

02-20-2001...I'm sure the report is somewhere
Darn... fooled by my own trick. Too funny, but what wristshot said was good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom