I fear change, but . . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I know I'm probably kicking a dead horse... But, I want to upgrade my second stage, I'm using a Mares (MR12) first and second stage (Nikos model), Dacor Fury octo, and Mares Mission 2D console with 5000 PSI air gauge, 230 ft. depth gauge, and thermometer. I am pretty much hooked on Mares and don't like change..What model Mares regulator out there should I upgrade too? I'm ok with spending 200.00 - 300.00, I guess what I'm asking what's the best bang for my buck . . . . . Tanks in advance !!

Sorry I forgot, I mostly dive Lake Erie, colder water, if that helps.. Tanks

i'm guessing most people here will say upgrade to the mares abyss regulator.

it's great for coldwater (so everyone says) and you can get it for less than $300 at ScubaToys.

click on the link in my sig and search the regulator section.

I agree with the Abyss. It's realiable and a good breather. It's probably not the easiest breather out there, but it's not bad. For Great Lakes diving, the metal construction is also a plus. I've heard that the cold water kit doesn't make much of a difference with respect to free flows.

I also own a MR12 Axis and can't complain about that either.

The Abyss is a very nice reg for the money. As a Mares technician, I prefer tuning the new Proton series. They are easier to finely adjust due to the access port in the housing. The Abyss has superior bubble dispersion, but the work-of-breathing is virtually identical with both regs.

The V16 Metal Proton would suit your needs very well.

Greg

Yeah, I think that if you want to stay Mares, the Abyss is best. Even the V16 combo will do you well. I would think that you would be best to upgrade the first stage if you are only doing one (first or second) as it will result in the greater improvement.

Wish I had the money for a Proton ice but it's sounds like the Abyss is the way to go. I don't know if the cold water kit is worth the money though. I've heard mixed opinions on it. :06:

Lil' Irish Temper:
Wish I had the money for a Proton ice but it's sounds like the Abyss is the way to go. I don't know if the cold water kit is worth the money though. I've heard mixed opinions on it. :06:

Proper cold water diving techniques are vastly more important than the addition of a cold water kit. I don't use the CWD with my Mares regs, nor do dive buddies, and we regularly dive in water below 45 degrees.

One buddy is an ice diving instructor and he doesn't use them on his V16 first stages.

Greg

Dove my Abyss in sub zero water temperatures in the waters off Nova Scotia without the CWD kit and without any problems

Back
Top Bottom