I finally get it: paddles vs splits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What out-of-water exercises would one do to strengthen legs to better handle flat out swimming in paddle fins? The flat out swim for distance/speed was what I found the most challenging in the paddle fins once I got comfortable with them.

OP is a chick, btw. :wink:

My G/F was using a Tusa Tri-Ex blade fin also had a piar of Scubapro Twin Jet's she tried a few times and didnt like them prefered the Blades and after during a Finning clinic they instructor had mentioned to her that a differnent type of blade either the Scbapro Jets or Turtles would be best and would help he measured her out and she would use the Scubapro Jets and it was a night and day difference it was video recorded and you could see it and she loved the fins and walked out of the shop with them. I too had the Atomic SOTW fins everyone was raving so had to try they were nice but for me didnt compare to my turtle fins.

What out-of-water exercises would one do to strengthen legs to better handle flat out swimming in paddle fins? The flat out swim for distance/speed was what I found the most challenging in the paddle fins once I got comfortable with them.

What has really helped me is riding a bicycle. And concentrating on using the thigh muscles and glutes when pedaling.

lavachickie, why do you want to do a flat-out swim?

When I did my DM test, I just switched to better fins for swimming forward fast. In ALL my other diving, I can swim fast enough in my Jets. It's not real fast, but since I avoid swimming against strong current and like to watch critters, it's fast enough.

Powerwalking, squats, leg lifts

What has really helped me is riding a bicycle. And concentrating on using the thigh muscles and glutes when pedaling.

Isn't that what cause people to do the bicycle pedal style of finning? They just kick in the most natural movement they are use to.

It dawned on me some time ago that fins really aren't very ergonomic. Both flutter and frog kicks really don't make efficient use of our muscles.

A walking, bicycling or stair stepping motion would be far more ideal and really allow us to use our muscle groups. There's no practical way that I can think of to make that kind of movement generate propulsive force though.

Enjoy your new enlightenment, lavachickie. I know I always enjoy it when I hear that internal *click*. :biggrin:

The one issue is that I have a very soft and flexible hard soled boot; the tops are a thin, lycra like thing, like a light Chuck Taylor from Converse. The force of the fin in a good kick causes the pocket edge to dig into my foot (Through the boot, White's drysuit foot, and thick wool sock). Hurt. I need a more substantial upper on my boots to distribute the force.
Hehe, I can't help but find it a bit entertaining that I actually just purchased a pair of Chuck Taylors to wear on my Bonaire trip (9 days to vacation!). I guess footwear (webbed and otherwise) truly *is* "to each his own", eh? Last time I went to Bonaire, I came back with holes worn in the top of both feet from a seam in my nice dive boots. The Chucks fit my Jets-with-springs quite well and have been a wonderful upgrade -- and they're black with black decorations and black soles, so they even *look* like dive gear... well... they didn't have much selection locally. :)

I picked up a pair of split fins a few years ago when I had the NAUI 900 yards in 18 minutes snorkel swim for my DM course. They were excellent at allowing minimal expenditure of energy to maintain the easy pace required to finish with a few minutes to spare. Our 450 yards in 10 minutes no-gear swim is the one you get your stamina up for. With splits, the 900-yard snorkel is just a boring cool-down, hehe. Paddle fins are very not optimal for that profile, so I went with more appropriate footwear.

On the other hand, in my regular diving, I really don't care to go fast at all. Simple drag is proportional to the *square* of velocity after all, so going faster just burns energy (and therefore, your air) at a significantly greater rate. Sure, sprinting for a pool length or so to catch up with a wandering diver/student/evil buddy is going to take a bit more out of you in paddles, but that's only a small fraction of my diving. The rest of the time, I'd rather have the firm grip on the water I feel from my big uglies. :D

(I don't plan many anti-drift dives, so the splits generally come out just when someone else wants to give them a whirl.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom