I Give Up: Suunto Gekko or Nitek Duo - $250

Suunto Gekko or Nitek Duo or [Other Comp Under $300]

• Suunto Gekko

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Nitek Duo (Zeagle N2ition, Tusa Hunter, Seiko Etc)

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm talking about liveaboards and vacation divers. And suunto has the largest share of the computer market right now .. for better or worse: makes finding a buddy easier and simpler. That said, please let me know what your experience has been in buddying up with a nitek!

I think Pealgic Pressure Systems (Oceanic, Aeris, etc) actually has the largest total market share though each of the individual brands has less. I believe Suunto is #2. Interesting that these 2 algorithms represent different ends of the spectrum, liberal to conservative. By the way, the Nitek Duo is definitely on the conservative side, likely not a bad match for Suunto

Good diving, Craig

Please explain to me how diving a Suunto will make it easier to find a buddy.
Oh yeah, it's a well-known benefit of owning a Suunto. In fact, the OP has understated it quite a bit; owning a Suunto not only makes finding a buddy easier, it also makes finding a significant-other easier. Within a few short hours of buying my D9 a lovely woman sidled (they always sidle, don't they?) up to me at a bar and said, "Is that a Suunto you're wearing...big guy?" So, yeah, get the Gekko; the glow-in-the-dark face is like flypaper in a nightclub. :crafty:

The Gekko is becoming obsloete and is replaced with the new Suunto Zoop, looks exactly the same to me but yellow so could be some cheap Gekko's going if someone got a few too many in stock.

Zoop and Gekko almost the same comp except: colour and Zoop is "officially" down loadable straight from the box.

Easy battery change too.

Its not just the Gekko that shines in the dark, my Vyper also glows in the dark once I've shone my torch on it although it has backlight as well.

I think Pealgic Pressure Systems (Oceanic, Aeris, etc) actually has the largest total market share though each of the individual brands has less. I believe Suunto is #2. Interesting that these 2 algorithms represent different ends of the spectrum, liberal to conservative. By the way, the Nitek Duo is definitely on the conservative side, likely not a bad match for Suunto

Good diving, Craig

I never liked the older Oceanics, as their primary and alternate displays never seemed to show me all the info I wanted on the same screen, or else with just a single button push. But the new Veo 3.0 display is a lot better (similar to Suunto's layout), and gives you a choice of algorithm: either the Pelagic DSAT (liberal) or the Buhlmann ZH-L16C (more conservative for rec diving, but better for deco diving). The gauge mode stop watch function on the higher end Suuntos and the Tec 2g is still better. The VEO's manual is available for download if the OP wants to take a look.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom