I Give Up: Suunto Gekko or Nitek Duo - $250

Suunto Gekko or Nitek Duo or [Other Comp Under $300]

• Suunto Gekko

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Nitek Duo (Zeagle N2ition, Tusa Hunter, Seiko Etc)

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm talking about liveaboards and vacation divers. And suunto has the largest share of the computer market right now .. for better or worse: makes finding a buddy easier and simpler. That said, please let me know what your experience has been in buddying up with a nitek!

I would guess that when you combine all the ones made by the same mfg that makes ocianic, they would be much larger...just a lot of names to ID though.

My normal buddy uses Suunto,,, I dive a Galileo... don't have an issue.

I have dove with people using just about every computer made, don't have an issue.

If I had to pick, the choice would be easy....Nitek.

If you want the computer to absolutely make sure you don't do anything stupid... get the Suunto, but if you do. ..don't every accend too fast (even on the bottom, but particularly the last 15 ft) or go back into the water until it says it is ok... or your dive time will be shortened.

I have never seen, on any trip, anywhere in the world, more than maybe 1/4 people using Suunto... which is pretty good, considering how many different brands there are, but hardly "everyone"

As a family we dive two Gekko's and two Vypers......

The Gekko has a great glow in the dark face.......great for night dives.....

Much easier to use than a backlight button......

Just pass your dive light over the face and then look at depth, dive time, NDL, etc...

I actually prefer the Gekko to the Vyper for that reason.....

While I have never used it I understand there is a download hack so you can connect it to a computer and download it......

M

Last edited:
I actually prefer the Gekko to the Vyper for that reason.....
I agree with this. The Gekko phosphorescent glow is long-lived (depending on how long you shine a light on it), easy to use, and doesn't suck up any battery power. I wish that my Mosquito and Vyper computers had this feature.
While I have never used it I understand there is a download hack so you can connect it to a computer and download it......
If you have a PC, then you need to run a program that specifies that the Gekko is a Vyper. This will be communicated to Suunto Dive Manager when you download the profile.
If you have a Mac and use the donationware MacDive, then no software hacks are necessary. Just download the dive profile. Piece of cake.
Regardless of the OS that you're running, you'll need to purchase the Suunto download cable.

You can also get a DSS boot for the Suunto.....

I have one for mine...........sweet.....

M

I'd go for the Duo (I have the Tusa IQ-700) but if you can find buddies who have each so that you can play with one in person before you buy that would be better.

I don't care about downloading so that's not an issue for me. I don't like all of the Suunto "babysitting" even though the algorithm in the IQ-700 is fairly conservative as well.

I like the interface and menu (much better than the Suunto in my opinion).

I'm pretty sure if you were able to set down with both of them and with the manuals there would be a clear choice for you (which ever one that might be).

I wouldn't worry about what your buddy is using at all. The size of the screen/font and menu usually are what people either like or dislike regarding dive computers.

A while back I considered the same two computers, but went with the Nitek Duo. Am very happy with it.

The Gekko is becoming obsloete and is replaced with the new Suunto Zoop, looks exactly the same to me but yellow so could be some cheap Gekko's going if someone got a few too many in stock.

If you move into tec diving and have the duo, there is your backup depth and bottom timer. If you have the gekko, you need to get two new pieces.

I've have the Duo with the DSS boot for a couple of years now and I've been pretty happy with it. I'm thinking about getting another, mostly for the gauge function.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom