I got tinnitus it seems outta nowhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice to know likely cause and seemingly there is light at the end if the tunnel. The million dollar question is how long that tunnel will be. Seems some people suffer tinnitus a few months but others a few years.

Thanks so much for weighing in on my posts, super appreciated and has given me some light.

I can play a waiting game.

It was horrendous but I was telling my wife the very minute I read your first post and not knowing anything else other than all the tests were negative I said I know what this guys issue is....I bet he either started or stopped a medication....I am a Dentist so I am well versed in medications....I feel for you and there is a light at the end of the tunnel...it might be a year long tunnel but since there is nothing else wrong with you I would hedge my bets it is the withdrawal...by the way 99% of the people I withdrew with all got tinnitus me included. I would say out of the thousand plus that were members 990 had tinnitus at one point or another....

I'll bet my life you're right. Knowing it's just a waiting game and knowing it should stop at some stage makes it far more bearable, not knowing us usually the worst. Again, thanks for replying and sharing you just saved me from a free fall.

The insomnia isn't being caused by the tinnitus but because you have insomnia, you're more aware of and annoyed by the tinnitus. You really need to zen and distract through this. Also the aacceptanceis important

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, it's been so helpful and comforting and reassuring. Honestly such a help I was falling fast.

Sadly, tinnitus has no rhyme or reason to it. I've had it for 5 or so years and can't pin it to any particular cause. It's only in my Left ear. Fortunately, I am not aware of it most of the time.

However, the second I saw the title of your post - it started.

And that is sort of how it works for me. The best suggestion I can offer, and it seems lame, is to come to peace with it and just decide it does not bother you. There is literally no physical action you can take to make it go away. But if you are not obsessing about it the sound will fade into the background. You can get better at this over time.

Many causes of Tinnitus,
I wear a bite guard at night and this helps.
Also the more stressed I am the worse it is. If there is any relationship to grinding then, massage, teeth guard and stress reduction can help.

I am selling my guns as loud noises can be a problem as well.
I hope that helps. Due to a high stress job I started wearing night guards over 25 years ago. I retired from the stressful job 2 years ago but the tinnitus keeps on working! I suppose the damage is done, but at least it's not getting worse.

And about loud noises. They don't bother me. However heavy clapping like at a concert or crowded event sends me up the wall. I have to wear an ear plug in my left ear now when I go to any event with clapping. I think it's the close range percussion that does it. Even very loud tv speakers don't trigger me like clapping. I can totally see gun shots being a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom