I hate conforming...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove my BP+Wing with a "regular hose" setup and conventional octo.

I didn't care for the configuration.....

Then again I trained with an Air2 originally, and I like keeping my kit neat. The conventional octo is anything but, IMHO, so the "long hose" solution works for me - even in open water - provided that I can route it without it being ALSO "in the way".

"Second, the D-ring INSIDE the pouch is to clip things off that are INSIDE. You unclip BEFORE you remove the item from the pouch. Yes, metal-to-metal connections are to be avoided, but if something is INSIDE the pouch it can't hang up on anything - so the argument against metal-to-metal doesn't apply (unless you're making it just to be a purist!)

Second, metal-to-metal isn't forbidden PROVIDED there is a severable link somewhere in the chain. For example, when you clip your primary off its a metal-to-metal link. You put in a "fusable link" - an O-ring or cave line - so that if you need to get it off and the snap freezes you can - with some effort."

I understand the purist aspect, and your wish to keep religion private, but if you are looking at the different aspects then you need to have all the info.

The gear is most effectively removed by just dumping it all out and unclipping. Something like a spool could get jammed and one could not remove it all all. The reason for metal to metal avoidance is not just because of entanglment, but also due to not being able to use the piece of equipment that gets hung up if the bolt snap jams due to sand, salt, etc.

By that standard you cannot have a bolt snap as a metal-to-metal connection when clipped off.

Ergo, there is no problem, because if you dump it all out and then figure out what you want to unclip, the device which is clipped off on the D-ring has a weak link between that clip and the device.

Let's say I have a slate in my pouch, clipped off to the D-ring in the pouch. I should put a weak link (e.g. cable tie) between the bolt snap and slate. This way I can circumvent a frozen bolt snap, regardless of whether the slate is clipped in the pouch or clipped on a D-ring on my chest.

Thus, the argument about the "D-Ring" in the pocket violating the rules for protecting against locked bolt-snaps sounds like horsefeathers to me - you have to put a weak link (cave line, an O-ring, cable tie, etc) between the bolt snap and the device in any event, otherwise you could never (safely) clip it off on a chest D-ring or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom