I Just Canceled a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all as everyone stated you mode the right call, your mom would be proud that her child has an above room temp IQ. Humor set aside diving with an insta-buddy works well in shallower less challenging dives. I have dove those type of dived and have always taken a pony setup completely redundant. In the later years with a bit more experience I shelved the pony and got an old steel 50 as a replacement as I didn't want any unwanted surprises at depth and as mentioned I don't depend on an unknown as you never know how someone acts when the poop's in the fan. If you are going to be doing deeper jumps update your rig and start off with an instructor...... that you know or at least know of by positive recommendation. I've known a couple of instructors I wouldn't trust with your wife, if you know what I mean. And for the love of Pete, stay sharp and stay focused never stop thinking...... the life you save might be mine

We have those little voices in our heads for a reason. Do the dive when you're more comfortable or better equipped (pony bottle, etc). Diving is only fun when you live to tell your story. It takes more "guts" to call a dive than it does to do something reckless.

These inside voices... sometimes so difficult to follow.

I'm sure it was difficult for the OP to call this dive, but sometimes it is even harder to call a dive that is within our abilities, but somehow something feels off.

Specially as we start aging, that gets even harder to acknowledge. Things happen during easy dives also, and even if we are capable to deal with the issue, it is even easier to call it before it happens if somehow we get the warning from the "voices".

Good for your call and even better to bring the subject here.

Good for you! I dived today and had similar thoughts. I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Outrageously awesome decision! I would buddy with you anytime and anywhere (within my comfort and training). You da man.

NetDoc's Second Rule of Diving: You can call a dive at any time for any reason: NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

I'm with the OP on this as well, but the reaction by other posters shows the difference between divers trained today and those of 40 years ago. My father was solo diving to 150' on air when he was 18 years old, he thought nothing of it.

I'm with the OP on this as well, but the reaction by other posters shows the difference between divers trained today and those of 40 years ago. My father was solo diving to 150' on air when he was 18 years old, he thought nothing of it.

There are things that those of us with tenure just don't brag about, in years past safe sex had to do with a girls father. So many things have changed. There are people here that have inferred that I couldn't be well trained due to when I started but to be honest I have probably survived more stupid stuff than a younger diver could imagine..... or survive for that matter, perhaps ignorance might be bliss.

I feel like it is a dive within my capabilities, as long as nothing goes wrong.

That underlined bit is absolutely correct. The vast majority of the time, nothing goes wrong. You probably could have made the dive. But there's always that 'if'.

Good choice making the tough call. At least in this one instance you're exhibiting the mindset I look for in a dive buddy.

Get yourself comfortable, get some good team mates, and then make the dive; it isn't going anywhere (at least not very quickly).

Probably a good call for you--there's always tomorrow, next weekend, next month etc etc........That wreck isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.....

Its the right call.

For the first time since I started diving late last year, I canceled a dive. It was a boat dive scheduled for tomorrow morning, on a WWII P-38 at 135fsw off La Jolla. I canceled because it feels like the dive exceeds my training. It was a hard call to make, as people knew I was going on it, my tank was filled, my gear mostly packed, all ready to go. Except it didn’t feel right.
@JTinSD: OK. I have to ask. You mentioned that people knew you were going to do this dive.
Were these people dive-certified?
If so, what did they think of you signing up for this dive trip?
If they are divers, how much experience do they have?
Did they know that Dive #2 was going to be at Scripps Canyon (another deep dive)?

I ask all of these questions because I'm imagining how I would react if one of my friends, with your level of dive experience (approx. 60 lifetime dives over 1 yr. and one dive in the 100 fsw range), talked about diving the P-38...and then signed up to go dive it.

Back
Top Bottom