I just can't sink!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just can't sink!

Yes you can, I promise you...

Maybe a change of instructor is needed. Any instructor worth their salt is able to correctly weight and correct technique problems commonly associated with descents.

Others have spelt out the common problems that cause this misunderstanding in novice divers. Have some confidence in Archimedes... he knew what he was talking about.

Could be a multitude of reasons as mentioned above. Last dive trip I was on I had trouble sinking also. Tried another couple pounds of lead to no avail. The divemaster noticed that I still had air in my BC and pulled the cord. No dice. The upper vent just wasn't opening. So I turned upside down and used the lower vent which emptied the air and I sank nicely. Upon inspection, the plastic thingy in the dump valve was stuck to the plastic housing and wouldn't release. I hadn't checked it for a long time and hadn't paid any attention to it. -----Divng around Belize doesn't really necessitate a wetsuit unless you are getting cold easily. I dive in swimming trunks and a rash guard when I am down there. The water is el warmo.

I like all the suggestions, but would focus in order as follows: 1) air in BCD. This is most likely. Hold deflater hose high, and roll side to side to make sure all air is out. 2) air trapped in wetsuit. It happens, and more likely with a new suit. Also, if you were wearing a hood, air gets trapped in hoods alot. Push on top of hood from time to time. For air in wetsuit, pull out collar and flood youself. 3) Your movement. I agree with crossing your ankles. BE STILL. Don't kick. let yourself descend. 4) underweighting. Not likely from your report, but possible. 5) hyperventilating or breathing "on the top half of your lungs." Remember slow deep breaths in and out. Relax, take your time, then exhale. Other possiblities are limited. Don't force descent with overweighting. Take time to saturate your exposure suit, relax, and deflate the BC fully. You are going to love Belize diving!.
DivemasterDennis

I'm surprised the instructor couldn't solve this for you too. You haven't told us what kind of suit or how much weight you were using.

So, it could just be that you need more weight. I use a lot of weight and it's not because I'm doing anything wrong - I just need that much. Without it I get light at the end of the dive and have trouble with the stop.

So, try the things mentioned above. If you need more weight, then just get a little more weight.

Hi! I'm a new diver too (less than 25 dives). At first I was just a vacation diver, diving in the ocean with visibility at least 60+ feet. This past November I got bit by the bug and decided to dive anywhere and everywhere I could. That meant I was diving in visibility anywhere down to 2 feet, and water temps in the 50's. It was a totally different environment, and for the first time I had trouble getting down. On my most recent dive trip I kind of noticed something. I had been upset and bothered it was so hard for me to descend. I hated putting on more and more weight. The first couple dives I had to swim down hard! Visibility was pretty bad on these dives.

On the 3 dive the visibility was a little better and I told my dive buddy, hey, I'm going to try getting down without swimming down for a second so give me a minute and if I can't get down, I'll swim down again. On that dive I descended without any trouble! I was so excited. The next dive I dropped 2 pounds (because I knew I was big time overweighted) and I got down again with no trouble. This dive was much better visibility too. The common denominator was that I was not worrying about getting down anymore and my body was relaxing. I also started to notice that during the dives, once I was comfortable and my muscles were not tense I was sinking like a rock, and having to put more air in my bcd.

There are many more experienced divers here, so they would know better if my thoughts on this are accurate or not. But, I do think there is something to be said for a relaxed body, relaxed muscles and relaxed mind. I am not suggesting that is your full issue. But, it may be worth thinking over. :) Good luck on your trip! Have a great time! Better viz will likely help!

I'm surprised the instructor couldn't solve this for you too. You haven't told us what kind of suit or how much weight you were using.

My instructor was puzzled; I had enough weights for a 300 pound person (I'm 5'3 an 120 pounds).

Assuming it was a PADI course...and the instructor was using the PADI Basic Weighting Guidelines, then you'd probably be looking at 15-40lbs of weight - depending on the exposure suit - based on the OP's first comment (about weighting for a 300lb diver. I normally find that the weighting guidelines bring divers out with too much weight - but it can work for novices who haven't relaxed their breathing yet.

EXPOSURE SUIT TYPE START WITH
Swim suit/dive skin 1--4 lbs
3mm 1piece full wet suit 5% of body weight
5mm two piece wet suit 10% of body weight
7mm wetsuit w/ hood & gloves 10% of body weight, plus 3--5 lbs
Neoprene dry suit 10% of body weight, plus 7--10 lbs
Shell dry suit, light undergarment 10% of body weight, plus 3--5 lbs
Shell dry suit, heavy under garment 10% of body weight, plus 7--14 lbs

The first few feet from the surface is the challange. Add to that a "dry" wetsuit and you can feel like a bit of a cork. I use a little trick to help me get down without having to "overweight". When your BC is almost empty, give a few long hard kicks to raise yourself out of the water a bit. Then stop kicking, exhale and continue to hold your BC hose valve straight up and open. Good Luck! Aloha, Rick

I know what the OP means... I bought a new 7mm semi... Im 93kg and have *some* fat (beer i swear). I needed (well i thought i did) 16KG!!! the first dive. It was murder, its just too much weight for me and i know it. At the end of the trip, 10 more dives in the suit it had worn in a bit and compressed, I shed 4kg. Im hopeing this next trip i can get it down to 10. I was putting it all on the belt, i didnt have an integrated BCD. I do now and hope i can spread it out a bit. Maybe 5 in the jacket and 5 on the belt. Mannnn 16kilo on the belt was terrible.

Also i agree with other, i likely wasnt exhaling enough. Im going to concentrate more on this my first dive next week.

I'm a very buoyant diver. I'm 6' 2'' and 205 pounds. I wear a 7mm farmer john. When I did my open water certification, I needed 43 pounds of weights just to get below the surface (using an 80cf aluminum tank). My certifying instructor needed to pull me below the surface, and most of the time, he just pulled himself up.

I now have a 120 cf steel tank and use 32 pounds of weights. Aside from these changes, I get in the water before anyone else; I stand up to my chin in the water to get all the air out of my suit Even with twisting and turning, it takes a while to do so.

Get in the water first. You'll be surprised by the results.

Phil

I found I had problems at the surface so I just went upside down after clearing my ears and got the descent started and then the weights would float me down the rest of the way. I know some people frown on this but it works for me. The other replies also had good info- most importnat- relax about it- if it takes you longer to get down- so what!
If you could do it in the pool- you will be OK if you have enough weight on. Some folks think it is important not to wear too much weight but wear what you need and eventually you will learn what works for you in a given wetsuit. Buy your own wetsuit so you have close to the same experience on successive trips. Chances are as you do more dives- you will reduce the weight you carry but in the meanwhile- don't worry about it. Belize is great- hope you all have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom