I need a 109 seat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe the old to new problem is just with the duro poppet. I believe the same problem can occur with the s-wing poppet in the balanced version.

This is right. The problems I've had with old levers/new poppets have been with the s-wing poppet. ZKY, your best bet is just to decide whether you want to convert it to balanced or not, get the poppet that you need, and then deal with the lever if it's an issue. BTW, the duro poppet will be very difficult to tell from the balanced version. The only reasons I've gone for balanced in mine are that A) I had easier access to the s-wing poppet than the duro poppet, and B) I think the balanced ones hold a tune longer due to the lighter spring.

Get your poppet, it sounds like six2life is giving you a good deal, and then if the lever doesn't work, one of us (I'll do it if nobody has one) will help you get a new lever. Its the least we can do for the inventor of such a great dive product, the freedom plate. I use mine almost all the time when diving single tanks.

And I plan to use mine almost all the time
when diving single tanks, when I get them?

This is right. The problems I've had with old levers/new poppets have been with the s-wing poppet. ZKY, your best bet is just to decide whether you want to convert it to balanced or not, get the poppet that you need, and then deal with the lever if it's an issue. BTW, the duro poppet will be very difficult to tell from the balanced version. The only reasons I've gone for balanced in mine are that A) I had easier access to the s-wing poppet than the duro poppet, and B) I think the balanced ones hold a tune longer due to the lighter spring.

Get your poppet, it sounds like six2life is giving you a good deal, and then if the lever doesn't work, one of us (I'll do it if nobody has one) will help you get a new lever. Its the least we can do for the inventor of such a great dive product, the freedom plate. I use mine almost all the time when diving single tanks.
OK so I'll just go with the original plan and get the duro poppet from six2life.
BTW, the difference I noticed was when I drained a tank down to almost zero, the balanced reg that is my primary still breathed like normal and the unbalanced 109 (my backup) breathed like a straw. So I guess the balancing chamber makes it so it will open easy and deliver air even with very low tank pressure. These are the ones then that all the urchin divers used to use with their hookah rigs that they used to tell me about since the deeper you go with a hookah line the weaker the pressure. Makes sense to me now. I think they used a balanced one from Oceanic too but I wouldn't know the model.

In my case it really isn't going to matter if they are balanced or not, I was just wanting the least amount of hassle to get these working.

I don't think so. Honestly I think its a bit hit-or-miss but I would say that I have found the best overall results with the new lever, the one that has curved feet.

I have a case with a G250, my main rig actually, that came with a stepped feet lever, couv's middle pne. It worked fine until I swapped in a curved feet one: first it free flowed, then it worked in 2 steps: a bit of air/lots of air. I'm on my 3rd poppet and my 2nd lever and it seems to be OK now, but I'm not really sure until next time I dive it. Sadly, that'll not happen until Christmas.

Sorry for being so late to this party!

ZKY, I have not personally cut and reglued poppet parts onto the poppet in your first post. However, I have in my possession poppets where that has been done. I think it's possible to do (the regs breathed fine with this method), but if you can get a duro poppet, I would highly recommend it for the ease of future fixes.

By the way, Six2Life, I see you're selling another duro and a g250 kit with the s-wing. If you have any more, let me know and I'm sure we can work somehting out. :D

Update.

I just recieved a few duro poppets from Six2life and they work cherry. The original levers work fine.
The DIY brotherhood rules!!!

Hey hey, looks like you're still in the business of punching out your own seats!
I wonder if inner tube (for tyres) would work. :D

These were original in package parts kits not homemade seats.
I would think inner tube would be too soft for seats but I don't really know.

I love being connected into the SP contraband parts mafia. It only took me a few years and some bribery with Freedom Plates but I finally got in.
I heard though that once you're in you can never get out. Fine with me.

...I heard though that once you're in you can never get out.....

Joe Pesci thought that too in "Goodfellas." :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom