I need recomendations for my first BP/W kit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeftankdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all. New to SB.com. I'm a relatively new diver with about 30 dives over the past couple of years. I've decided its time to stop renting and get my own gear. I've read quite a bit of reviews, pros and cons about BP/W and I've decided that's what I want. I want the lower profile and greater customizability they offer and I'm willing to spend a bit if I feel its the right gear for me but I keep reading how much less expensive a decent BP/W setup should be compared to a good jacket style BCD. I am currently only open water certified but I'm going for advanced with SSI this summer. Eventually I'd like to do non cave tech diving. For some reason caves just don't interest me but deep water wrecks do. I want to buy a set of gear that is good quality and will scale with my aspirations. Do I have to get a second set for double tanks or is it fairly easy to just swap out the plate?

Here are a few packages/sets I've looked at but as I have no BP/W experience, I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Dive Rite Transpac XT Travel Zenith Package
HOG Gear BP/W Full Set - Single | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Scubapro Form Tec Harness System discounts on sale ScubaPro
Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Harness System at LeisurePro

I welcome any recommendations. Thanks for your time.

I would save yourself a significant amount of money, and go with the HOG setup or something similar. Those "comfort" harnesses add a lot of cost to the rig, and many technical divers do not use them, preferring to keep the harness simple.

You can take the same plate that you use for single tanks and put a doubles wing on it for use with doubles.

I would save yourself a significant amount of money, and go with the HOG setup or something similar. Those "comfort" harnesses add a lot of cost to the rig, and many technical divers do not use them, preferring to keep the harness simple.

You can take the same plate that you use for single tanks and put a doubles wing on it for use with doubles.

Agreed. While I love SP and Dive Rite gear, save the money and get the HOG. I've been diving that same rig for about 2 years and it's a great piece of gear. All that other crap is overkill and you'd probably get annoyed with it at some point and replace it with just a simple harness. Might as well save the money and start out right.

For under 380 you can get very comparable with:

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

It is a 28lb wing instead of a 32lb.

That Hog is 460

HOG Gear BP/W Full Set - Single | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

I do have the Hog 32lb wing and I do like it. I bought the plate, webbing, tri glides and cam bands from DGE and just assembled it all myself.

The wing was slightly used, but not much. No visible wear. Assmebled that for just a little over 300.

Thank you for the advice. Do you find the simpler gear such HOG are considerably less comfortable than the SP Form Tek Harness? I know I'll be in the water for the majority of the time but there will be some boat or shore time where I image the unpadded straps being painful. Thoughts?

Thank you for the advice. Do you find the simpler gear such HOG are considerably less comfortable than the SP Form Tek Harness? I know I'll be in the water for the majority of the time but there will be some boat or shore time where I image the unpadded straps being painful. Thoughts?

Padding only adds unwanted buoyancy. You don't need it on the straps or backplate.

You want something like this: HOG Gear Singles Package | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

If you're only going to dive in warm water, the 23# wing is a better choice. If you're going to dive in the cold, you'll need the extra lift of the 32# wing

I'd strongly suggest you drop Jim L. a note (hint hint hint)

I find the simpler rigs to be more comfortable. The extra padding, pockets and unnecessary D-rings add to the bulk. I love my Freedom Plate, one piece harness and 27# wing. I use it in warm water as well as the cold water at home in a drysuit without having to adjust it.

Freedom_Plate_Rig.jpg

Reactions: cib
The padding is unnecessary. In most diving environments, you are going to have some kind of exposure protection on, which will give you plenty of padding. If you're one of the lucky folks who gets to dive in water so warm you don't have to wear ANYTHING but swim trunks, put a piece of neoprene around the harness where it sits on your collarbones.

I've purchased several different BP/W systems and don't find too much difference among them. That written, I am VERY partial to the DSS (Deep Sea Supply) system and promote it to my students. The fit and finish is excellent, the little touches are very nice. I also prefer (very personal preference) the DSS wing design to the HOG design (and I have both).

The HOG system is good and a great value -- but the DSS system is not that much more (when everything is included) and I believe is just a better setup. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs

YMMV

Thanks Peter, I'll check out their site.

I know this is off topic but how about regs. Does it make much difference with jacket BCD vs BP/W? My local dive shop really likes the Hollis line and thinks the DC 2 Yoke regulator will be a good fit for me, both while I'm still a newb and as I move to more advanced and tech diving in the coming years.

Back
Top Bottom