I need recomendations for my first BP/W kit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do I have to get a second set for double tanks or is it fairly easy to just swap out the plate?
You may/may not have to swap the plate but maybe the wing. Depends on the weight of the doubles - i.e. steel or al, size, buoyancy characteristics...

DSS has their own forum here. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-sea-supply/
As does HOG/Edge. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/edge-gear/

The owner of DSS - Tobin - is cool_hardware52. The owner of Hog/Edge - Chris - is cerich. A few years ago when I was thinking of a BP/W Tobin was very generous with his time in answering my e-mails. I only travel to dive so my requirements were slightly different than some. I understand he's the same if you call.

Another vote for Tobin and DSS. I called and emailed him, a lot, asked a lot of stupid newbie questions, and received a lot of valuable information. He identified my specific needs, and I got all of what I needed, and none of what I didn't.

Here are a few packages/sets I've looked at but as I have no BP/W experience, I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Dive Rite Transpac XT Travel Zenith Package
HOG Gear BP/W Full Set - Single | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Scubapro Form Tec Harness System discounts on sale ScubaPro
Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Harness System at LeisurePro

I welcome any recommendations. Thanks for your time.

Out of these, only the 2nd qualifies for bp/w. I would ditch the back pad if you decide to go with HOG. DSS makes good bp/w, but so as HOG. The big advantages of DSS hardware are 1) their bold on plate, which is useful if you need a lot of weight. 2) the implementation of the STAless single tank setup. And of course Tobin will make sure you get the right combination of gears.

DSS also has plates of various sizes...IMO this is key if you are not of "average" size. I am tall, and when I tried on a standard size plate in a shop a couple years ago I got turned off to BP/W because it didn't feel right. It just felt too short. A month or two ago I picked up a used DSS Long plate here on SB and I love it.

I know this is off topic but how about regs. Does it make much difference with jacket BCD vs BP/W? My local dive shop really likes the Hollis line and thinks the DC 2 Yoke regulator will be a good fit for me, both while I'm still a newb and as I move to more advanced and tech diving in the coming years.
Are you asking if BC selection matters when selecting a regulator? If so the answer is no. If you're asking whether a jacket BCD or a BP/W is more optimal for diving - it's the BP/W.

....My local dive shop really likes the Hollis line and thinks the DC 2 Yoke regulator will be a good fit for me, both while I'm still a newb and as I move to more advanced and tech diving in the coming years.

DC2 breath well, but I gave you two cautions, about Hollis DC2 and Hollis reg in general:
1. If you think you will use AI transmitter in future, DC2 is a bad choice. Its LP port is recess a little in a very tight cavity. Most transmitter, including Hollis's own model won't attach to LP port. The work around is to use 6" HP hose, but what is mess, why limit yourself to this work around. Also because of the LP port recess, milflex hose won't fit either. I had a DC2 before, I went thought all the inconvinence.
2. If you decide to get Hollis, make sure you get a good deal. Hollis often have deep discount.

I love my dc1s and they are a great reg for doubles when u get to that stage. Hollis & Oceanic make great regs & computers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checkout the post by WVRICK, in the classifieds, got a great complete set up.

Checkout the post by WVRICK, in the classifieds, got a great complete set up.

+1 - that is one sweet deal.....

DC2 breath well, but I gave you two cautions, about Hollis DC2 and Hollis reg in general:
1. If you think you will use AI transmitter in future, DC2 is a bad choice. Its LP port is recess a little in a very tight cavity. Most transmitter, including Hollis's own model won't attach to LP port. The work around is to use 6" HP hose, but what is mess, why limit yourself to this work around. Also because of the LP port recess, milflex hose won't fit either. I had a DC2 before, I went thought all the inconvinence.
2. If you decide to get Hollis, make sure you get a good deal. Hollis often have deep discount.

My current computer is a SP Meridian which I like but I will probably upgrade in the future. A) I don't like the software that came with it, B) I do want one with an adapter for monitoring PSI, and C) I'm not sure how far I can take it down the tech road when I start on that journey.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 04:42 PM ----------

Are you asking if BC selection matters when selecting a regulator? If so the answer is no. If you're asking whether a jacket BCD or a BP/W is more optimal for diving - it's the BP/W.

No, I'm not getting a jacket BCD. I'd just like a solid reg that will be good for single or double tanks and that I hopefully won't have to replace when I get into more technical diving. And I also wasn't sure if your reg setup is much different with a BP/W setup verses a jacket style which is all I've known to this point.

Back
Top Bottom