I need some Advice re-Farallon MK iii Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr X can I have the number the guy who has them sitting in the corner.

Thank you

Thanks all for your help, I see the used MK iii on ebay did not even get one bid for $1400 I lost the link for the $2600 but I suspect it would not fair any better. I purchased a seadoo scooter from another dive buddy yesterday for $400 just to play with it to see if this is the way I want to go. If I enjoy scootering I can always give this to my daughters to play with in our pool.

All your information and help has certainly opened my eyes to the wide variety of scooters out there though I don't know if it has helped my dicision. I am too new at this so I will test the seadoo scooter out tomorrow since everywhere is closed and see if I like and want to move in this direction. Once again thanks one and all.

I don't have a scooter to sell you but I do have a bag of aquarium rock you can use in your new scooter for ballast.

Even if it;s "brand new", it's 30-40 years old. Batteries are bad, seals should be replaced, wiring might have decaying insulation...

I've got a Tekna that was just rebuilt by Steve Gamble, brand new almost everything. Faster than most gavins, about as fast as an SS on 7. I'd part with it for $1100 and split shipping with you. (I'm looking to upgrade to a scooter with bigger batteries) You can find Teknas simlar to mine that have not been rebuilt like mine, but which are in running condition, for $500-$700. I bought mine for around that, and then re-did everything for several hundred dollars.

You won't find a new SS for $2k, but you can find older Gavins for $2k. A "real" scooter like a Tekna, Mako, SS, Gavin or X, will last longer and go faster and deeper than a SeaDoo, but do cost more.

There is a large selection of scooter types available for all of you divers to choose from today and from my personal experiance over the years were I've owned several of the Mako, Dacor and Tekna type scooters I've found that all of them eventually lost there o-ring integrity do to warpage and or cracking of the plastic housing they just didn't hold up my guess do to many plastic parts. I prefer the solid aluminum casing that the Farallon and a few other European made scooters are still built out of they are bullet proof. Today I'm still using my old Aquazepp it is over 35 years old single speed and Ive done nothing to it other than changed the prop once. As for o-rings and shaft seals these items are cheap to purchase they are nothing more than Single spring mechanical industrial seals that come in different sizes and widely available. The battery types have changed we now have NiMH and other fancy batteries fueling our scooters but they all come at a much higher price some in excess of $900 to replace. Lead acid batteries yet heavier are much cheaper. The NiMH and others may require expensive circuit boards to control the out voltage/amps etc to give the longer burn time another consideration to look at because if she fries a board you pay. I hope this gives you something to think about have a great day.

DSV1

Last edited:
What a stupped comment.

Is this the same as schtupping? LOL.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/schtupping

For folks leaving me messages regarding liquidation of government-owned equipment (like Tekna scooters ) - they are the property of state and city. As such, they are not for sale until someone deems them surplus etc. Until then - visit Ebay.

X

The old Farallons from 3 to 6 are bullet proof with a powerful and long lasting GE motor and a heavy gear drive system. Its just an incredible power house that takes a licking and keeps on running. Today after 30 years since the first model 1 came off the assembly line there are still many divers out there who insist on using Farallon DPV's because of there ruggedness, dependability and ease of maintenance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom