I panicked, lived, and learned...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was working as the DM/Guide on the boat that day. It’s always a welcomed learning experience to get feed back, whether directly or indirectly, from the divers that we dive with. There were two buddy teams of two on the boat that morning. After a week of nothing but rain we were looking at extremely poor visibility at the 30ft sites. The option of diving the shallow sites vs diving some of the deeper sites, were visibility would be expected to better, was given to the divers. As the crew, it makes no difference to us which sites are chosen. We would just like our divers to know their options so that they can make an informed decision and get the most out of their day. Without hesitation the group made the unanimous decision and chose the deeper sites. As the divers were getting settled we noticed that there were some divers in the group that were excessively over weighted. Proper weighting & buoyancy is an important aspect of diving that is too often brushed off by many OW instructors. The reality is that many instructors would rather just make their students sink instead of taking the time to teach proper buoyancy techniques. The Captain took probably fifteen minutes out of that morning and gave the divers some tips. We get to the dive site and the water is exceptionally flat for Hawaii. We chose the site that is least susceptible to current. After tying on to the mooring, and noticing very little surface current, much more current at the wreck could not have been expected. Located 2400 miles from California, the Hawaiian island chain is the most isolated, inhabited land mass in the world. There are no large continents nearby to dampen ocean currents or weather. We are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The current on the wreck was more than we usually encounter at that site but comparably less than we regularly see at other sites. Diving is a sport which is weather dependent and conditions at sites can quickly change. Licensed divers are responsible for themselves, should keep their skills up to date and should know their limits. If there is a dive that you are uncomfortable with before the dive then you should speak up. If conditions are different than what you expect, or conditions change and you are not comfortable then you and your buddy should abort the dive. We made a slow descent down the line to the bow of the boat and up to this point I been getting nothing but the OK signal from my divers. At that point we began to explore the site with me leading two buddy teams that were ~5-10 ft apart from each other. Despite a thorough briefing, most divers get to the sites and go in every imaginable direction. So as a dive professional this is something that we expect and watch closely for and frequently deal with. Being on top of the wreck for less than a minute, I turned to check on my divers. I noticed the couple not looking at the group and not attempting to swim in the direction of the group. I left the other buddy team at a point on the wreck where they could hold if needed, instructed them to wait and then I went to check on the pair. At this point the couple was swimming back to the ascent line. As I reached them, I asked them for the OK sign. With a fairly calm appearance, they signed OK and that they were going up. I reminded them of their safety stop and left them to go back to the other divers. The boat did two other exceptional dives that day and we found more leafy scorpion fish than I’ve seen in one day. Every diver at some point will have a dive that they are uncomfortable with. I hope you guys can take this as a learning experience and get back on the horse. As you continue to dive and learn more, the more comfortable you will be and the more fun you will have. Know you limits and don’t be afraid to voice them.

My 15 year old son and I were the other buddy team on the dive. I agree with the dive master’s perspective; neither my son nor I felt we were beyond our skill ability at any time. The dive boat operator did make the option of the deeper dive available to the four divers, and stated that it was our decision and in effect, "our boat for the day". At the time I felt a bit apprehensive about the 100' dive, but was interested in diving a wreck and believed it was within our ability. We received some very good instruction regarding weight reduction techniques, and had I maintained better breathing control I would have been fine. When I returned to the boat after the first dive I told the boat operator I wanted another few pounds and he complied. My son and I then completed the following two dives (65' and 35") and found the dive master to be professional, knowledgeable and experienced (registered ER nurse). I felt I got my money's worth (and more) and would dive with this company again.

As a retired U.S. Navy Captain with over 25 years service, I know that mental preparation is every bit as important as physical readiness. I think it was the prospect of the unanticipated 100foot depth that caused the anxiety described above.

I know these boards exist to provide an environment where divers can share their experiences so that others can learn. This post is not intended to contradict other's perspectives, but to add my view as well.

Hi Jason! Welcome to Scubaboard!

LOL. I definitely did not request such a dive...wrecks scare me regardless how deep they are. I was just certified in October and was very nervous about going to 100 ft wreck and made it clear to the Captain. When I spoke to him to confirm the next days dive, I explained that we are Florida divers and he explained that he gets once a year divers and divers that haven't dove in five years, etc...he is used to it all and that is the type of diver he gets. He explained that the three tank shallow dive wasn't selling well and had changed it to one deep then two shallow dives, I was still hesitant until I heard there was a DM/guide. On the boat, he also explained the the viz was bad on the shallower dives due to rain.

Like I already said, we definitely agreed to go after he gave us the chance to do something else. It was a mistake to do so...one of my lessons learned. I should have canceled the dive the evening before when we spoke on the phone and I found out it wasn't the dives we booked.

taken from the website:
Wednesday Three shallow dive special - starting Sept 26, 2007

Join us on Wednesday mornings for 3 shallow dives! We try to do three shallow dives, averaging 35-40 feet (depending on conditions). Typically these include turtle dives, but can vary depending on what Mother Nature is offering for the day.
This is the charter for you if you haven't been diving in a while and would like to get in some extra shallow dives to help build your experience and comfort levels.
The cost for the three tank charter is $150 (includes transportation to and from Waikiki, tanks, mask, fins, weights and use of dive computer

J_cro1 gave an accurate description of what happened on that dive. I have no idea what I looked like or even how long I was under for. I was terrified and tried to keep my cool. I didn't want to worry anyone and I was embarrassed for freaking out. I gave the ok sign, did a safe ascent that included my safety stop. I am usually the cool and collected one and this time I wasn't. I posted here not to flame the operator, but to share and learn from my experience. Every time I dive with others I want to learn new techniques to try. I want to be a better diver. Like I said, I am sure I am probably overweighted and would like to drop weight. That was just not the dive to be trying it out....one of my lessons learned.

I am responsible for myself and I said YES to everything. I should have gone with my gut that told me NO. This was the first dive of three, I did the second one and skipped the third.

While I am no iron man, I am a swimmer, lifeguard, and in ok shape. I don't like the "fit enough" comment because I'm no pilates expert. That felt below the belt and is not what I wanted this post to turn into. I get scared, post about it, and someone takes a jab at my weight....I'm sorry everyone.

My point for posting was to admit that the dive was WAY over my head and I shouldn't have done it. I wanted to discuss and hear from people about it to learn more.

The best lessons learned are the ones you get to tell us about on SB. Glad you and your buddy are ok and that you handled the situation without bolting.

Safe diving!

My point remains that if you have not dived in three years, agrreiing to do a 100 ft dive in a new location is something you should not really blame on the operator.
I think perhaps we are talking about different divers? The OP was only certified in October.

And I don't think a dressing down or questioning the OPs physical fitness is called for in this instance. The OP made the best decisions she could in choosing a tour, things changed, and life went on. The OP didn't bring up the dive operator, didn't diss on them, didn't demand a refund or a public apology and gave a nice first hand account, imho. Other posters seem to be bringing in extraneous things and it kinda detracts from the lessons the OP is trying to get across imho.

It sounds like the OP was very clear with the operator up front and is very much aware of the part she played in how the day went. She accepts her responsibility and looks to be posting her experience to help other divers who may come across the same scenarios.

Kudos to you fishdelasol - you tried to make good decisions in choosing a tour, second guessed yourself when things changed from the original plan, made some mistakes, survived and learned from them and then took the time to come in and share. Well done and a good reminder to all. And thanks for the great, happy, outgoing attitude in this thread, too! :D

I was certified October 29, 2007...last October. I didn't request a deep dive. I have never alluded to wanting a refund. I did not want a refund at any point...going on the dive was my choice. I have taken responsibility for my choice from the start. I did not name or blast the operator, I only shared my experience in making the wrong choice and learning from it. Only the people in HI might know who it is and I had no idea only one operator did 3 tanks. I just thought it sounded like a good dive for me and my buddy's experience level.

In my limited boat diving experience I have not had a guide before. I mistakenly let that give me a sense of security for this dive. As I keep saying, I should have canceled the dive when I found out it wasn't what I was originally looking for. I am not sure how else to acknowledge that I agree that I shouldn't have gone, I am ultimately responsible for my self, and that it was beyond my skill level.

Thanks to everyone who posted about my experience. I appreciate your viewpoints and tips. This is what makes SB great. Hopefully, next time I will recognize the panic before it takes off on me and then I will know that I truly learned from this particular experience.

Fitness level, experience and judgement all enter the equation, but it is your call as a certified diver.
This is a huge fallacy for newly certified divers.

The entire OW class is based on: "The instructor says 'Do this', everything will be OK."

This leads to new divers that are conditioned to follow instructions, so when a new diver signs up for shallow, easy dives, gets to the boat and finds that the operator has decided to go somewhere "not shallow and easy", they'll still do it.

Is your dissatisfaction about not wanting to pay the full amount? Because sometimes money is a factor when there is some case made for something of this nature..
Actually, I believe I was the one that mentioned money.

The OP signed up for shallow dives they were qualified for and was pressured into accepting deep dives they weren't qualified for.

It was 100% the operators responsibility to not take a new divers on a dive that was 3x their previous maximum depth, regardless of how agreeable that were, especially when that wasn't what they signed up for.

Terry

..If something sounds dumb, it's still dumb even if the boat captain or instructor says it's OK.
Exactly!

Without hesitation the group made the unanimous decision and chose the deeper sites.
One of the most difficult things for new divers to do is not go with the flow. I see new divers pressured into making stupid decisions just because the “whole boat agreed” and they, not really knowing any better, agreed as well.
To toss is back into their face as, “Well, you should have said something.”, is arrogant at best.

As the divers were getting settled we noticed that there were some divers in the group that were excessively over weighted. .
Please don’t try to tell us that the Dive Master/Captain did not realize they had new divers. He certainly believed they were grossly overweighed. Then to pressure them into a 100ft + dive! New or rusty divers don’t want to disappoint anyone and the Dive Master/Captain knew and exploited it.

I feel strongly about this as I have witnessed a scenario just like this first hand and one of the newly minted divers was severely injured.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom