I passed out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should be eating 5-6 small balanced meals a day and plenty of fluids.You are probably doing more harm to your body by not eating.If you eat 5-6 small meals a day it will also help in the recovery dept of your body if you are working out regulary.

bwerb once bubbled...
. . . I would also recommend totally that hydration and eating are not to be avoided prior to working out. You could avoid eating if you are working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for fat burning but I would still hydrate. Going all day and working out seems to be counter to every study ever written on muscle building. You need the food to build the muscle. Otherwise, your body thinks it's starving and will flip into fat storage mode as soon as you have your next meal.

Good luck to ya!

Brian
Hi Brian,

I totally agree with you and lal7176. Fasting or "dieting" seldom helps to control excessive weight but there exists a multi-million pound industry promoting dieting. How often have I heard " I lost x pounds when I was the diet but have since put all of it back on - and more!" Better to adopt a permanent, sensible life-style. Indeed any diet fools your body into thinking "it's starving and will flip into fat storage mode as soon as you have your next meal." Fat is your longer-term energy reserve, your body's "redundancy".

Nowadays most tend to eat their main meal at the end of the day, which is the very worst time as few work, or work-out during the night.

If it is possible, eat little and often and my advice is to concentrate on unrefined carbohydrate rather than processed foods most of which contain far too much sugar and salt - a diabetic diet. The preparation and digestion of such a meal in itself is good exercise!

Diet should be a four letter word. Diet implies a temporary food intake change when proper eating habits and exercise should be like brushing your teeth. You do it everyday and don't talk about it.

A good book available which emphasizes Dr. Thomas's point about focusing on the glycemic index (GI) of foods not the fat content is called "The GI Diet" by Rick Gallop. Although it has that four letter word in the title the book is endorsed by the Heart and Stroke foundation, is easily read in two hours (real big print and only 100 pages), and the science behind the message is accurate.

For Canadian readers it is available at Cole's, Chapter's, Indigo for $25.

Rooster,

Are you on a diet ? I mean, why is it that all you have had on that day was a piece of toast and marmalade ? Sounds a bit foolish to me, without being disrespectful... :)

Amanda once bubbled...
Rooster,

Are you on a diet ? I mean, why is it that all you have had on that day was a piece of toast and marmalade ? Sounds a bit foolish to me, without being disrespectful... :)

no offense taken:

no I am presently not on a diet however the day I passed out at the end of my work out I hadn't eatin since morning and only 2 cups of coffee throughout the day. I went to the gym right after work and I did a hard cardio and harder on the weights. The irony is that I really felt good through the entire workout until I got light headed. I worked out the next day and everyday since just taking today off. I worked out yesterday even harder and felt great. I just make sure now that I have something in my system before I work out that hard. (Docs advice) I find even if I go to the gym now after work without eating dinner first I usually will eat a granola bar and an apple or a juice and I have lots of energy.:)

Rooster1 once bubbled...
The irony is that I really felt good through the entire workout until I got light headed.
I hope I am not overstating the case, which I see you accept , but it is a common finding that individuals feel quite euphoric prior to a catastrophic event. While I am not entirely sure of the mechanisms, there is little doubt that certain individuals get a "high" by fasting, just as others get a fix out of pushing the pain barrier.

I suspect it has a lot to do with endorphins, but as is so often the case I have no evidence to confirm my suspisions, but I strongly suspect that this is one part of the biochemical events that cause anorexics to fast with no apparent discomfort.

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
there is little doubt that certain individuals get a "high" by fasting, just as others get a fix out of pushing the pain barrier.

I suspect it has a lot to do with endorphins, but as is so often the case I have no evidence to confirm my suspisions, but I strongly suspect that this is one part of the biochemical events that cause anorexics to fast with no apparent discomfort.

No high for me and no fix for me. The only fix for me is staying in shape. I am not fasting (just didn't eat that day)

I am a big eater, if I miss a meal I know it

:(

"Current company excepted."

Hi Rooster,

We come across some very odd behaviour patterns in my field of work. Perhaps you read this as if I thought you were anorexic!

Not at all!

It does seem odd that one can be hypoglyaemic, or indeed hypoxic but feel absolutely great.

The adage goes, "Engage brain before putting mouth into gear." :booboo:

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
"Current company excepted."

Hi Rooster,

We come across some very odd behaviour patterns in my field of work. Perhaps you read this as if I thought you were anorexic!

Not at all!

It does seem odd that one can be hypoglyaemic, or indeed hypoxic but feel absolutely great.

The adage goes, "Engage brain before putting mouth into gear." :booboo:

uhh?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom