I purchased an Aqualung Diva XLT.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I thank you for the input....Since you are axctly right that certain things don't work for everyone I am going to research and try out a back inflate bc (more likely than the BP/w) before I buy....but again thanks for responding:D

Keep your options open and try them all. That is the best way to find out what works for you. I did not mean to hijack your tread, but I get tired of some poster saying that I did something wrong without knowing the facts. :wink:

Hope you find the right set up for you. :D

The only people who get pushed forward are the ones who do not know what they are doing with the setup. Usually they try to inflate it so that they are halfway out of the water.

That does not mean they don't know what they are doing. It means they want to be a little higher in the water.

This is another example of how the SB PBW cult dismisses those that choose to dive other wise.

Pete

No, I totally agree with you. Some things work for some, and not for others. So I appreciate your response, that for you, you did feel pushed head first into the water...that's something I will look at when I TRY IT BEFORE I BUY IT next time. :) Isn't there a sub-forum to post for things for sale? And if I paid $450, what would be a reasonable asking price? Any ideas?

No, I totally agree with you. Some things work for some, and not for others. So I appreciate your response, that for you, you did feel pushed head first into the water...that's something I will look at when I TRY IT BEFORE I BUY IT next time. :) Isn't there a sub-forum to post for things for sale? And if I paid $450, what would be a reasonable asking price? Any ideas?

Since it is pretty new, about 350-400 seems fair. It is an excellent BC, the only problem my wife had was that Lycra bra thing too. It is more design for the smaller chest size then the D's and up. :D

Uh-huh.......nodding head vigorously in agreement....tell your wife I feel her pain....:wink:

Beachlawyer--My wife dives a SeaQuest Libra, I dive a SQ Balance, both back inflates. I had heard the same thing, that they push you face first--and they can. Especially if you are over-weighted and then have to over-inflate (or choose to) or if you don't do some trim work and take advantage of the shoulder pockets. Ah, but if you do some pool work (rinsing overly well afterwards to lose the chlorine) or do some calm, shallow water work you can figure all this out easily in one dive. I use a bit more weight in the shoulder pockets vs the ditchable pockets, makes all the difference (I'm not talking serious weight differences, but if I'm diving w/ say 10lbs total, then 3lb in ea shoulder and 2lb in ea ditchable works great--FOR ME).

Aside from no squeeze on the surface and great visibility of gauges, what is very nice on these models is the comfort and steadiness when out of the water, w/ a tank on, in a rolling boat or an ironshore entry. The internal frame and padding is like a sturdy, internal frame back pack vs a floppy day pack, when trying to haul a heavy load--much easier to control things. (Huh, maybe that's why they call it a Balance...)

So many totally different dive products can all work perfectly swell, but you don't always get that impression from some folks. The curse and blessing of SB I guess--but would we really want it any other way!! :eyebrow: Good luck in resolving this. When you do it will be worth it, whatever you settle on. // ww

If you are referring to me, I have tried a BP/W and it did tilt me forward. I tend to be a bit top heavy when in the water. And for me ,to not tilt, I end up putting 8lb out of the 10 that I dive with on the tank. It was something I really was not comfortable with, not being able to ditch more weight if I need to. I dive rec and rent al80, which we all know get quite buoyant when low on air further pushing you forward. So it is not that I did not give it a try, it is something I am not comfortable with. Not everyone likes BP/W. If it is right for you, then cool. But it is not right for me, and no matter you may think I did wrong. It will not change the fact that the BP/W does not work for me.

It seems that on the board the BP/W divers are way more vocal and tries to push something that is not for everyone. We are all different, I respect the views of the back inflate and BP/W divers. But some divers are so one sided that they post that the person did not like the BP/W was wrong or they did something incorrect and that is why you had that tilt issue. BP/W is not the setup for me because it does not work for me.

Actually those bc I looked at were in the 300-400 range if you know where to buy them from. I do my research before I buy.

My post was actually directed to the OP. Sorry you took it personal. Fact is that BPW is still the most unencumbered set up, travels well, and weighting is easier. There is also nothing wrong with carrying as little ditchable weight as possible on the belt. Properly trimmed out it only takes dropping a couple pounds to insure positive buoyancy. I try to dive with no ditchable weight as if there's an issue unless I'm dead I'd better not be dropping weight at depth anyway and once on the surface the rig can be taken off if needed.

is this still for sale?

Back
Top Bottom