I saw something odd at the quarry today.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GQMedic once bubbled...
Sheesh!

Lighten up! If you take things THAT seriously in diving, it's time to hang up your fins.. This is SUPPOSED to be FUN!

You're right, I probably should. Fellows, moon walk all you want, just don't silt up my clear water.

If it's a quarry that I have dove for the umpteenth time, I may be inclined to do a little horsing around too. I wouldn't silt it up, but barrel rolls, riding the planted motorcycles, and all sorts of things like that are far from out of the question. As to the wetsuits and doubles without redundant buoyancy, I agree that doesn't sound like a great idea. Maybe they figured with doubles if worse came to worse, they had enough gas to walk out! :)

diverbrian once bubbled...
As to the wetsuits and doubles without redundant buoyancy, I agree that doesn't sound like a great idea. Maybe they figured with doubles if worse came to worse, they had enough gas to walk out! :)
Clearly they were very serious divers, putting their backup ascent plan to a real life test.:wink:

IIRC from reading The Last Dive, the younger Chris Rouse and his buddies used to play underwater bumper cars at Dutch Springs with their scooters :rolleyes:

ScottyK once bubbled...
IIRC from reading The Last Dive, the younger Chris Rouse and his buddies used to play underwater bumper cars at Dutch Springs with their scooters :rolleyes:
I don't recall that one. The prank that caught my attention was poking holes in each other's drysuits with a knife. A bit over the top IMHO. That ranks right up there with instructors unclipping a diver's SPG and wrapping it around the manifold, and the instructors clipping a partially inflated lift bag off to the same guy's tank. :rolleyes:

Ah yes- I forgot the Drysuit one also. The bumper car thing was earlier in the book, when they were talking about the elder Rouse becoming adept at scooter repair.

I gotta say that jumping up the side of a quarry in just boots sounds like a bunch of fun :) I actually remember thinking about it, wondering if I could find a buddy with enough fun in their blood to be interested in rock climbing in scuba gear :) I did empty my BCD and pull myself up the rock wall with my arms for awhile, but my buddy kept looking at me in an odd way, so I stopped.

I also had some fun, we were at around 40 feet above the 80 foot hole in the quarry. I was hovering over a ledge, my buddy was hovering right behind me above the hole. I pick up this nice big rock (I kneel on the ledge), show him how strong I am, he claps, and then I hand him the rock. My mask floods as I crack up watching him fin like mad while he starts dropping. Scuba is fun especially if you can lighten up a bit :)

Ceberon once bubbled...
I gotta say that jumping up the side of a quarry in just boots sounds like a bunch of fun :) I actually remember thinking about it, wondering if I could find a buddy with enough fun in their blood to be interested in rock climbing in scuba gear :) I did empty my BCD and pull myself up the rock wall with my arms for awhile, but my buddy kept looking at me in an odd way, so I stopped.

ROFLMAO new PADI specialty underwater rockclimbing =-) :whoa:

Charlie99 once bubbled...
I don't recall that one. The prank that caught my attention was poking holes in each other's drysuits with a knife. A bit over the top IMHO. That ranks right up there with instructors unclipping a diver's SPG and wrapping it around the manifold, and the instructors clipping a partially inflated lift bag off to the same guy's tank. :rolleyes:

Cutting a hole in one's drysuit ranks the same as an awareness test in a controlled environment? That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom