I screwed up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently dove stingray city on last dive in Grand Cayman. Didn't wear wet suit since didn't want to take home wet. I was rewarded by a large hickie on my shoulder. Dang, those things can suck, and the cartlidge in their mouths hurts.

Guess I'll keep diving with my wet suit.

Hey atleast we don't have swarms of deadly jelly's like they have near OZ, the little itty bitty ones are worse than the Box!

Once you get stung it's gonna hurt... vinegar, ammonia, meat tenderizer, etc. only gets rid of the stinging cells that are on the skin. The trick is to NOT rub the affected area, rinse it off in salt water or vinegar... fresh water makes the stinging cells mad. Only rinse with fresh water after you've gotten rid of the stingin cells on the skin.

For pain... any topical cream with anti-itch or anti-histimine funtion, benydryl for severe (local skin) reactions.

FYI: jelly fish have the same type of toxin as BEES! Any small children or elderly, as well as those with known allergic reactions to bee stings should be watched closely... for signs of breathing problems.

Good news... material as thin as pantyhose can keep you protected from the sting. If you don't want to wear a wetsuit then buy a skin or rashguard!

havnmonkey:
Hey atleast we don't have swarms of deadly jelly's like they have near OZ, the little itty bitty ones are worse than the Box!

Once you get stung it's gonna hurt... vinegar, ammonia, meat tenderizer, etc. only gets rid of the stinging cells that are on the skin. The trick is to NOT rub the affected area, rinse it off in salt water or vinegar... fresh water makes the stinging cells mad. Only rinse with fresh water after you've gotten rid of the stingin cells on the skin.

For pain... any topical cream with anti-itch or anti-histimine funtion, benydryl for severe (local skin) reactions.

FYI: jelly fish have the same type of toxin as BEES! Any small children or elderly, as well as those with known allergic reactions to bee stings should be watched closely... for signs of breathing problems.

Good news... material as thin as pantyhose can keep you protected from the sting. If you don't want to wear a wetsuit then buy a skin or rashguard!
hey havnmonkey, thanks so much for this info, i have wondered of the type of toxin in the jellies, as i am very deadly allergic to bee stings, i go into anapalactic shock and with in a VERY short time (approx 15-20 minutes) my throat swells shut, and well....... i will die of sufacation without immeidiate medical attention, i do carry epinepherine but who knows, i should have checked into it to find out , but now i know, i wonder what else there is in the ocean that may carry the same toxic reaction for me to be aware of?? thanks again!!!

Charlie59:
Recently dove stingray city on last dive in Grand Cayman. Didn't wear wet suit since didn't want to take home wet. I was rewarded by a large hickie on my shoulder. Dang, those things can suck, and the cartlidge in their mouths hurts.

Guess I'll keep diving with my wet suit.

LOL gotta remember this as an excuse. "Oh that? A bunch of stingrays attacked me. Dang those things can suck. yeah, that's the ticket!"

FD

havnmonkey:

Just remember to cut a hole for your regulator in the pantyhose, and ask for the money from the bank in non-sequential bills...

Stingrays sting too!!!

Jim... Definitely vring your Epi on the dive boat. If it's an Epipen anyone could help you. However, in the six years I've worked on the beach as a medic I've never had to administer Epi to anyone. Although I have dumped gallons of vinegar.

I wouldn't risk a sting but I also don't think the toxin is as concentrated as a bee sting. Unfortunately some types of jelly fish could completely envelop a diver in tentacles; I couldn't imagine anyone not having a severe reaction.

havnmonkey:
Stingrays sting too!!!

Jim... Definitely vring your Epi on the dive boat. If it's an Epipen anyone could help you. However, in the six years I've worked on the beach as a medic I've never had to administer Epi to anyone. Although I have dumped gallons of vinegar.

I wouldn't risk a sting but I also don't think the toxin is as concentrated as a bee sting. Unfortunately some types of jelly fish could completely envelop a diver in tentacles; I couldn't imagine anyone not having a severe reaction.
great info , and thanks very much!!!!!

OK, I didn't think this sad tale of mine would generate such interest. Just thought it'd be a funny anecdote for everyone to get a laugh out of.

Back
Top Bottom