I screwed up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, TWD
Just out of curiosity, which boat were you on, and did you dive on the July 20-21 trip? (I was on the Fling on those days). Yes, indeed, Stetson did have a lot of jellies on the lee sides of the outcroppings and pinnacles. I got some really good video of at least two types of the little critters.
Okay, about the conch (the critter, not what your wife may--ahem--have been referring to)...Those things are relatively recent additions to the NMS. I dive with a science team for the sanctuary, and on a trip two years ago a marine biologist was working on his Phd. dissertation thesis concerning the conches. He was trying to document whether the FG specimens were genetically related to ones from the Yucatan Peninsula. If this is the case, it shows how species can migrate long distances and possibly become "invasive" species. (The conch isn't really invasive, but others can be.) Anyway, just an interesting tidbit of info.
By the way, other than the stings, what did you think of the Sanctuary and trip? I volunteer with the FGBNMS, so I'm always interested in people's percetptions.

markfm:
I wonder what the Cyberskin is like -- supposed to be a 0.5mm. Off to Roatan next month, and I run warm, so either just a skin or try that...

We did Roatan in April. The skiin was plenty for us. Mainly just for protection. The water was low to mid eighties all the time. Have fun; Be safe!!!!

Guba:
Hey, TWD
Just out of curiosity, which boat were you on, and did you dive on the July 20-21 trip? (I was on the Fling on those days). Yes, indeed, Stetson did have a lot of jellies on the lee sides of the outcroppings and pinnacles. I got some really good video of at least two types of the little critters.
Okay, about the conch (the critter, not what your wife may--ahem--have been referring to)...Those things are relatively recent additions to the NMS. I dive with a science team for the sanctuary, and on a trip two years ago a marine biologist was working on his Phd. dissertation thesis concerning the conches. He was trying to document whether the FG specimens were genetically related to ones from the Yucatan Peninsula. If this is the case, it shows how species can migrate long distances and possibly become "invasive" species. (The conch isn't really invasive, but others can be.) Anyway, just an interesting tidbit of info.
By the way, other than the stings, what did you think of the Sanctuary and trip? I volunteer with the FGBNMS, so I'm always interested in people's percetptions.

As a matter of fact I was one of your galley hands cooking your food for you. I love the gardens, and will be on the fling as galley for most of the end of august. I'm getting pretty familiar with some of the areas down there and even some of the wildlife. There are 2 nice size tiger groupers I like to "play" with on west bank that I see every time we're on #5

Hey! Great to hear from you again. By the way, I can't express my appreciation enough for the terrific job you guys did. The food was great, all of the crew's attitudes were upbeat and fun, and I can't say enough about how well we were treated aboard the Fling. Hope to sail with you again someday. In the meantime, have fun "out there" and keep up the good work!

Now that I see your avatar, I remember you. You had on a Christian divers t-shirt. I had meant to ask you if you've ever read a book I'm still trying to get through. "This present Darkness" makes for good surface interval reading.

SangP:
Jelly fish stings are never funny even if you are the one watching.

When I was in Aus studying, the warnings bout box jellies were taken very seriously. Even here in Singapore we have one of the highest population of jellies so diving in shorties or just skins is not advisable.

I got stung on the lips once and it was Mr puffy for a week.

SangP

When I got stung by the fire coral in Key Largo I used some commercial jellyfish product and it worked well to stop the stinging which was good because I think they were all ready to pee on me.

stardust:
When I got stung by the fire coral in Key Largo I used some commercial jellyfish product and it worked well to stop the stinging which was good because I think they were all ready to pee on me.

There's a good reason it worked. Fire coral is not coral--it is an animal related to jelly fish.

stardust:

Here is a recommended Fire Coral Treatment from the eMedicine web site:
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/wilderness_fire_coral_cuts/article_em.htm

Fire Coral Cuts Treatment
The following guidelines are suggested to treat fire coral cuts:

Rinse with seawater. Avoid fresh water because it will increase pain.

Apply topical acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.

Remove tentacles with tweezers.

Immobilize the extremity because movement may cause the venom to spread.

Apply hydrocortisone cream 2-3 times daily as needed for itching. Discontinue immediately if any signs of infection appear.

When I got attacked by some fire coral in Jamaica, after the guys stopped laughing at me, they cut off the leaf of an aloe plant. that helped a whole lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom