i was surprised how nice the diving was in Dominica. excellent!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things I remember about Dominica is that the locals were friendly and pleasant. We have visited countries where the locals were downright rude and in one case - flat-out frightening! And in Jamaica people woke me up on the beach to sell me things that I would "never in a million years consider buying!" but I don't recall ever having that experience or feeling in Dominica.

Rosseau is a depressing place IMO but I don't think that I ever felt insulted or threatened there. At CCL I remember having fun at the beach bar with guests, locals, and dive masters - everybody was friendly. I work everyday in downtown Chicago so I am used to panhandlers and street vendors - but I don't remember anything like that in Dominica.

having been to Dominica recently (a few weeks ago), I would say that I was never scared for my safety in Roseau at all. the local Dominicans are very friendly. the big cruise ships can hit Roseau pretty hard as it is not a big place with all those extra tourists. we were mistaken for cruise ship people a number of times in town, but they laughed when they heard we were staying there and not passing through.

I would go back to dominica for diving and other activities. probably a couple years or so. to me right now, the best places to dive in the Caribbean are:

Little Cayman
Bonaire
Dominica

only my opinion of course.

Most of those countries have been saved or restored...some a couple times ...by vast bloody sacrifices of the USA.

Most of those countries have been saved or restored...some a couple times ...by vast bloody sacrifices of the USA.

Not Dominica. You generalize without information.

It was France, which through bloody sacrifice, allowed the American Revolution to succeed. Without French assistance , provided at great cost and in part responsible for French losses in the Caribbean, the American Revolution would indisputably have failed. We owe our existence as a nation to the French. That's why General Pershing, arriving in Paris in 1917, made the famous statement of gratitude "Lafayette, we are here".

Dominica was a Carib territory until first the French and then the British conquered it. The murderous British extermination of the Caribs is reflected in the name of one village on Dominica's leeward coast: 'Massacre'. The survivors moved to the almost unapproachable windward side afterward, where some of their descendants still preserve a pitiful few cultural remnants. The last native speakers of their two languages (one spoken by everyone, another secretive remnant of Arawak spoken only by women) died more than a century ago. A few elderly full blood Caribs remain. They are an exceptionally beautiful people, once fierce and greatly feared. The Caribbean is, of course, named after them.

I have a much greater sympathy for them than I do for any of the great power struggles of more recent times, despite my having participated in one. Great powers never go to war for anyone's benefit but their own, at least as they perceived things at the time. Anyone who thinks we have ever done so is a victim of propaganda.

Isn't Dominica great!!!,..called Jewel of the Caribbean for a reason..:)
(Dominica - The Jewel of the Caribbean - January 2015 - Weaver's Dive & Travel Center)

.......IMO, can go 18/6 & still not have covered it all

Wonder if they are related??..

7701973786_7cdd3ff458_z.jpg
[/URL]frogfish[1] by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

2 other real quick favorites(wish I'd have been shooting strobes/WA/ & macro back then...)

7653305668_30b8d91722_z.jpg
[/URL]flying gurnard by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

7701983714_59e69a2c95_z.jpg
[/URL]champagne[1] by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

more here.....:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157630760240954/

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2015 at 07:00 AM ----------

Operation Red Dog---unfortunately there was a Louisiana connection in there.........too.......
http://www.thegrenadarevolutiononline.com/page17a.html

very nice pics.

I was in Dominica March 7- 14 this year for my second trip. I have been to numerous islands in the Caribbean including the must dive Bonaire. (14 times). Dominica is definitely one of my favorite dive locations trips. Some of my favorite dive sites in the Caribbean. Too bad my pictures don't represent the diving as they should.

As far as feeling safe, my wife and I traveled all over the place and never felt nervous.

One last thing. If you go you have to eat at Zam Zam's!!!

As we speak, putting together a 2nd trip there------around Thanksgiving of this year....I keep telling the wife I've got to get back---before she or I 'goes'........:).......& this time I'll have my strobe(s)/WA/& macro going....

Oh you people are making me feel so bad.

I'd planned to go to Dominica in May of this year but things didn't unfold exactly as I'd intended and so my plans have changed. I'll be close but still so far. I shall be regretting my decision not to move one more island before returning home.

As an aside, for those of you that have been diving there and have been diving in SE Asia, given the choice between the two, which would you choose?

I was in Dominica March 7- 14 this year for my second trip. I have been to numerous islands in the Caribbean including the must dive Bonaire. (14 times). Dominica is definitely one of my favorite dive locations trips. Some of my favorite dive sites in the Caribbean. Too bad my pictures don't represent the diving as they should.

So which place has better marine life and reefs? Bonaire or Dominica? I understand Bonaire is unbeatable in quantity (number of dives). Does Dominica offer better quality?

As far as feeling safe, my wife and I traveled all over the place and never felt nervous.

One last thing. If you go you have to eat at Zam Zam's!!!

we ate at zam zams a couple times. good stuff. but really Mexican, but kinda close.

So which place has better marine life and reefs? Bonaire or Dominica? I understand Bonaire is unbeatable in quantity (number of dives). Does Dominica offer better quality?

No, IMHO it does not offer better quality. It has special differences, however. It is worth visiting because of those differences and because of the land-based opportunities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom