I wish my instructor would have...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nowhere on this list do I see "underwater tank valve manipulation." It seems that every year we have one or two cases where a diver jumps in with the air off or nearly off and subsequently drowns. We could *totally* eliminate this particular type diving accident if we just required students to be able reach back & turn on their air. I don't think most of today's divers have ever been required to do it, and I doubt many even can.
><>

I've done that a couple times on shore dives in a group-- cracked the air to check the pressure, got involved in a conversation while suiting up and walking to water - and forgetting to crank it, not realizing it until we're going down on the reef. Obviously i've not drowned yet :p and yes all i did was reach back and turn it on and continued the dive. Distractions can happen either on shore or on the boat -- buddy system is good -- key is just like the HGTTG -- "Don't Panic" :)

i actually remember having to be able to reach the knob during OW as one of the skills taught though?

...Isn't this solving the wrong problem for OW students?...
The "problem" is that despite our best efforts, distractions happen. People do jump in with the air off or nearly off. As often as not it is the experienced diver who has been called away from his own pre-dive routine to handle a problem for another diver.
Under any circumstances, the ability - and the inclusion as a first step in reaction to a sudden loss of air - to reach and manipulate one's own tank valve is, in my opinion, an underemphasized skill that should be right up there with mask-clearing.
><>

In OW we were trained to "doff" our gear, and IIRC a valve that was turned off was one of the reasons for doing so. I think practicing both strategies to determine which is less stressful to the new diver would be valuable.

I can't imagine why someone would want an OW instructor to be accomplished as a technical diver when the problem is that most have little experience as skin divers.
Someone who has those skills, and can pass them along, would be doing a new diver a world of good.

Imagine learning how to be comfortable in the water.
Being able to swim down, swim around, and swim back up without stress.
Familiar with water as a three dimensional space.
Being neutrally buoyant.
Efficient in propulsion.
Not fearing always having an immediate breath available and understanding the achievable connection available to the surface.
etc...
All before putting on a tank.

That's the forgotten foundation that is lacking in modern diving. Instructors are forced to take people with zero water experience and cram that, plus learning to use compressed air, into a short course.

As a result, people come out the other end lacking confidence and completely gear dependent. Wishing the instructor introduced different gear completely misses the mark. What we should wish is that instructors didn't have to introduce any gear for a longer period of time. Then the type of gear they introduced, wouldn't really matter.

Instructors are forced to take people with zero water experience

As an instructor this is curious. So far as I'm aware, I'm not "forced" to do anything.

Perhaps better to say that unqualified instructors are inclined to take people with zero water experience.

I believe that a fully qualified technical diver who is also an instructor has the skills and knowledge to accomplish the level of comfort you're describing. If they aren't doing that for their students then they're simply a bad instructor or one who's in too much of a hurry to do the job right.

If that means the course should cost more and take longer, so be it.

If that means fewer people learn to dive but learn to dive well, so be it.

If you accept the role of instructor you are forced to work with what you are given. Of course you can always choose not to be an instructor or to reject students. Seems a silly point to debate.

But again, you seem to miss the point. You believe instructors need more skill at the end point of experience (technical) while I argue they need more experience at the beginning point of experience (skin diving).

BOW divers do not need technical skills, they need basic water skills and those skills are first encountered skin diving. Familiarity, comfort, a sense of self, a sense of environment, a sense of ones place in that environment That is the foundation. From there basic diving is just understanding the physics of using compressed gas and extending the "swimming around" portion of the dive. Everything else is the same. None of it has anything to do with technical diving.

In fact, I would argue that interjecting technical aspects into basic diving makes that activity more dangerous. The safety record of BOW is built upon the premise of direct access to the surface. Every part of the training should emphasize that point. No overheads or extreme conditions, 50-60' depth, stay away from the NDL's, don't restrict your weight belt etc... If that concept is taught, and the skills to achieve it mastered, little can go wrong for BOW divers.

Add advanced skills, or technical skills, and you change that paradigm. You begin to have divers questioning whether they should stay at depth to solve problems (example the recent feathering valve debate), whether they should take on more challenging conditions etc... and not focusing on the primary skills of BOW diving. There is a time for that of course, when basic divers progress towards advanced diving and training, but that jump should not occur during initial BOW training.

Skin divers also tend not to bolt to the surface (they know they can achieve it via experience) tend not to engage environments they can not negotiate (through understanding their physical limits via experience) or panic on the surface (through knowing they can float easily there via experience).

Do basic divers not practice or retain BOW level skills? Yes, but not because they are always slackers. It is also because the BOW level instructor corp doesn't understand the foundation skills themselves. Many modern instructors have not skin dived, do not intrinsically understand neutral buoyancy and body presence or grasp the easy concept of moving from the surface - through the water column - and back to the surface, that it instills. Instead, as you suggest, many look towards technical skills/equipment to resolve an elementary deficit.

been a 36-24-36 in a bikini all the time.......But, don't know if I would have remembered to 'never hold my breath'.........

emily-ratajkowski-nude-bikini-boobs-hot.jpg

Instructors are forced to take people with zero water experience and cram that, plus learning to use compressed air, into a short course.

Not exactly.

When I get a student, the shallow end of the pool is "home" until I have a pretty good idea that nothing awful will happen in the deep end.

Nobody gets out of the deep end until I think they'll be good in Open Water, and even then, if I guessed wrong and OW is going badly, the shore or boat is nearby and there are more pool sessions coming up.

While there are undoubtedly short, fast classes that don't have time for this, those are a choice. Nobody is forced to teach one. In fact, I'd work at McDonalds asking "Do you want fries with that?" before I'd take a job that made me certify people who aren't ready.

I have no problem spending the rest of my life knowing that I served someone cold fries. I can deal with that. I'd have a big problem knowing someone died because I let them out into Open Water before they were ready.

flots.

DaleC, Great post. This spells out my pet peeve of "non water" people jumping into scuba.
mathauck0814, I also agree here, but this gets into the threads about how long, how costly, "will it ever happen?" (from a business standpoint- "It was like that 40 years ago") with the OW course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom