Question I wonder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wonder how others handle this:

You are from a particular area. You read a post from a person outside of your area (say, California posting on Florida or vice versa). You read a comment about a dive operation that you disagree with--that is, someone recommends a dive operation that you will NEVER use again due to personal experience. Do you jump in or let it slide to avoid litigation?

We have good operations in South Florida and BAD operations that I refuse to ever (ever) use again. Sit back and keep quiet or...

I like to read reviews of operators and dive sites, similar to reading museum or restaurant reviews. It's your opinion based on your experience, I would not be worried about litigation from those reviews as that kind of thing doesn't happen. I have already posted here about unsafe operators and WHY they are unsafe IMO. I would like to hear your opinions of operators :)

I am not an attorney, but unless you outright lie, litigation is not something to worry about. You can give honest reviews telling what you believe. You can describe events that you saw happen, provided you don't lie. Truth is almost always an absolute defense.

I would say the majority of reviews are from people who had no more than a few experiences, and I think most people who read reviews understand that. It would not be surprising for someone to give a review that is contrary to your opinion, and it would not be surprising for you to write a contrary opinion.

Someone should have engaged the ACLU.

In terms of the First Amendment, are the courts not considered a branch of the government?
Yes, courts are included. However, the truth is what the court decides to be the truth.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom