Question I wonder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, reviews, opinions, posts about experiences, trip reports, and recommendations for or against a particular operator is part of what makes this forum a community. To the OP's question, if you feel comfortable sharing your information, then go for it. I don't think we can ever have too much information when it comes to scuba diving.

+1 for "I have used _______ and I like to use _______ because..." Keeps it positive about your preferred op. I am far less concerned about 1st Amendment implications/getting sued compared to the flame war that might start when someone has the audacity to not like a popular op.

This is from LegalZoom:
A crucial part of a defamation case is that the person makes the false statement with a certain kind of intent.
The statement must have been made with knowledge that it was untrue or with reckless disregard for the truth (meaning the person who said it questioned the truthfulness but said it anyhow).

"Reckless disregard" can be very hard to prove. A dive op suing someone who posted their opinion and experiences about that dive op would have a very difficult time proving reckless disregard from what I have read and by following various defamation suits that have been covered by the media.

Also from Legal Zoom: (bold added)
If you are accused of defamation, slander, or libel, truth is an absolute defense to the allegation. If what you said is true, there is no case. If the case is brought by a public figure and you can prove you were only negligent in weighing whether the statement was false, that can be a defense as well.

There are VERY narrow exceptions to the First Amendment. I highly recommend following the first amendment on twitter (if you're so inclined) and you'll get the best possible answers. With citations. I believe "the first amendment" is run out of cornell law school.

I won't comment on the arguments here, but I've seen them before, and that's the best spot I've found for clarification on all of these arguments. I will say just because the other side doesn't have a case, doesn't mean you won't get sued.
Yes. Aware of that. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom