Ice Diving with wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could put on the wet suit in the winter, jump into a pool or lake that you can stand it, and then jump out....you should get a pretty quick idea of how it would feel.

If you need help finding a dive shop with a good deal on dry suits, just ask around your local dive clubs...I am sure you can find a decent suit for not much more than a heavy duty wetsuit.

I did my Ice Diver class in a 6.5mm 2pc wetsuit last year. Can't wait to do it again! The class was held on 2 separate days. The first day, the air temp was approx 25*F the second day, it was 34*F.
We had an enclosed trailer so we could change out of the wind. The heater in the trailer worked the first day(somewhat) but it did not work the second day.
Both days, I was in the water for 30-40 minutes. I did not reach the point of shivering, but I do have a high tollerance for cold water. My line tender told me that he would be giving me a tug on the rope every couple of minutes. If I failed to respond, they were going to pull my frozen butt back to the hole.
If you have a high tolerance for the cold, I would give it a try. If you start to shiver uncontrolably, terminate the dive.

I've read (in the back of Diver magazine) that you'd be quite comfortable in 7mm un-lined neoprene (the sort that freedivers wear). Personally I've dived 10C/50F in a 5mm wetsuit and been ok - sort of...

I did an ice dive in a wetsuit when I was a kid in Connecticut. Lyndon Johnson was President then.
I have never forgotten how cold I got that day.

Is it realistic to consider ice diving with a 7 mm wet suit? or.. a 3 mm wet suit with a 7 mm over it? Has anyone ever tried this?
I can't imagine the circumstances under which anyone would ever think was a good idea.

FWIW, local ice diving course here requires you to use a drysuit, requires you have drysuit certification, requires you to have at least 25 dives in a drysuit, and requires you to have at least 6 dives in a drysuit in the past year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom