ID a Stroke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhadamanthus:
Uh, it was the person I was chatting with and he was a newbie....

But thanks for the observations and poor conclusions.

Uh, the fine conclusion was based on a poorly qualified statement.

evad:
Uh, the fine conclusion was based on a poorly qualified statement.

ROFL, I see. You ARE a solo diver. No disprespect meant to REAL solo divers.

So, no, I didn't go into a lot of detail figuring people would draw the conclusion that most seemed to. For the record.

Had a conversation with a guy, newbie, 23 dives. Did some solo hunting when he couldn't find a buddy. No redundant equipment, no special training ...

They dive the rule of halfs.

The person with 50+ dives who just went through a DIRF, or worse yet, has just scheduled to go through a DIRF.

These folks feel obligated to tell all the more experienced divers around them how everything they have been doing the last 25-30 years is completely wrong and they don't understand how anyone survived all those hours bottom time.
:11:

gedunk:
The person with 50+ dives who just went through a DIRF, or worse yet, has just scheduled to go through a DIRF.

These folks feel obligated to tell all the more experienced divers around them how everything they have been doing the last 25-30 years is completely wrong and they don't understand how anyone survived all those hours bottom time.
:11:

Heheheh, I dig that: no one is ever more fervent than a new convert, are they? Coz seriously, the handful of experienced DIR divers I've "met" here on SB are *gasp* like normal people. They have a different approach to diving than I've been taught, and they have more than a few things to teach me, but I can't see them labelling me a stroke just because I'm not DIR.

cdiver2:
To me a stroke could be some one who do's not fill in there profile on the board. I do like to have some idea of the person to whom I am speaking.
Just one of my pet peeves, but I'll get over it.

Maybe you're just nosey.

evad:
Maybe you're just nosey.

Maybe just honest, courteous with nothing to hide.
I look at people who do not fill out a profile as being like a sniper sit in the bushes all camouflaged taking shots at the unsuspecting, but as I said this is just little old me nothing special, I will get over it :wink:

cdiver2:
To me a stroke could be some one who do's not fill in there profile on the board. I do like to have some idea of the person to whom I am speaking.
Just one of my pet peeves, but I'll get over it.

I find that thought process fascinating. I guess you don’t meet new people at parties, since they don’t have a little board with their religious and political views on their back.

Back in the olden days, you listened to what people said and decided if you wanted to get to know them better based on their thoughts and beliefs. You would then engage them in conversation to see if you have more in common. This thread provides that opportunity (one of the reasons I posted it).

So, if you find the thread interesting and think it can add value to your life, then post to it and get to know me, if not, don’t and don’t.

You may want to consider your manners though :)

Rhad

Back to the original topic:

Someone who wears gear or uses techniques they don't understand. For example, Ive seen people with 7' hoses bungeed in littke bundles strapped behind their tanks. When asked why they do that they say "because the long hose is safer" but they have no concept of what, exactly, makes the long hose "safer", nor why they have it bungeed and stuffed in the first place.

This goes for techniques too - for example people attempting a "deep-stops"-like profile yet are unable to explain exactly why they're doing so. Sometimes the answers (besides silence or a re-routing of the discussion) include "because that's the way we were taught" or "it's always been done this way/it's based on new research, so new you probably haven't heard of it" or "it's just safer/better, that's all".

With few exceptions, I will dive with anyone who doesn't attempt to injure or kill me or themselves, and who doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the dive. If your dive style includes an inordinate amount of futzing with wholly inappropriate gear, or dodgy use of gear (re: the stuffed long hose example), or can't explain why you use the gear you use if I ask, then I'm sorry, but I can't dive with you, and in my books at least, you're a stroke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom