"I'd like some LP85s, please." Lessons learned!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just came home from four absolutely wonderful days of diving with dear friends in Monterey. We planned some technical diving, and some recreational diving. There were three of us on the trip, and two were able to field two sets of doubles each, which we brought down with the appropriate mix. But I only own one set of 85s, and Peter was using my HP100s. All we had left was LP72s, which I loathe . . . so I asked my friend in Monterey if he could acquire a set of LP85s for me, and he said he could.

I arrived in Monterey, and we set up for the first dive. These 85s were odd -- much thinner and longer than mine. (Turns out mine are Worthingtons, and his were Fabers.) I went down to do a staged decompression dive with these tanks, and realized on descent that I was somewhat underweighted. In addition, they balanced completely differently from my tanks, and I was head-heavy and unable to be still. It was not a problem during the bottom time, as we were swimming at least slowly most of the time.

But on ascent, it did become a problem, because I couldn't stop sculling, and kept running into one of my buddies. In addition, the underweighting issue got uncomfortable at 20 feet (which, of course, was the longest stop) so I spent the entire 8 minutes or so swimming down, and swimming in circles, and irritating my buddies.

The following day, in my own tanks, I was back to being a halfway competent tech diver.

Lesson learned: Inquire as to the brand and buoyancy characteristics of borrowed tanks, especially if you are going to use them for a dive that's on the edge of your sphere of competency or experience.

I have learned similar lessons about new or unfamiliar equipment, over and over and over again. I always think it's gonna be okay, and it always isn't.

Being underweighted is the worst: It can really mess up a dive. One time I had to stuff a rock in my waistband just to stay down. One of the other divers thought I was trying to steal scallops (it was a preserve) and scolded me underwater, and when I got back on the boat I had a huge rash on my tummy.

I guess the rule I have learned is, always do a checkout dive with any new gear....When I can.....If I can....In theory.....

Yeah, Fabers run about 1.5lbs lighter than Worthington's on average. More suitable for warm water diving. Still trying to discern why longer tanks would make you head-heavy though. It would seem the opposite would be the case...

A similar discussion occurred earlier about the different trim characteristics of AL80's. Catalina's are butt-heavy as compared to Luxfers...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/337127-al-doubles-catalina-luxfer.html

I'll be darned if I can understand why long, narrow tanks won't balance for me -- you'd think they'd be, if anything, BETTER than the short and squat ones. But our 72s are long and narrow, and I hate them because I'm unsalvageably head-heavy in them (even Bob Sherwood admitted he couldn't fix the problem) and these 85s were the same.

The head-heaviness was unpleasant and made me look like a complete doofus, but the weighting difference could have been more of a safety issue. It honestly never occurred to me that there would be that much of a difference between steel tanks of the same capacity -- and when you added the tank change to the salinity difference between Monterey and Puget Sound, I set myself up for a very uncomfortable dive.

The only good thing was, if I can manage a staged ascent with stops when I'm out of balance and underweighted, I ought to relax about my ability to do it when I'm properly equipped!

How negative (empty) are Faber LP85s? Worthington LP85s are -0.7#/ea according to this (XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications). I have a set of the Worthingtons, but did borrow some Fabers recently. Sure, they're *slightly* (0.25") thinner, but I didn't notice a difference in the weighting or trim. I do dive a few pounds negative, though, for warmth.

According to TDL's cylinder specification page, the Faber LP85s are 0#s empty.

Compared to the E7-100s and X7-100s I also dive, I find the Faber LP85s "butt light."

Sounds like Peter just needs to get his own set of tanks...or sit the dive out :D There is always more dive gear to purchase...

I borrowed a couple of tanks in Seattle for my visit once from a wonderful member here. Only on the third day did anyone notice they were out of Viz. It worked out ok, but whew!

Nobody got hurt, all of the gear came back and you learned something. You had four absolutely wonderful days of diving with dear friends in Monterey.

Thanks for reminding us to watch the details.

I have had similar incidents perhaps not related to diving. You may be trying to locate something and somebody has an XYZ. When you get to see it you realize that the same specification applied to something very different.

Pete

I think the Fabers are 3.8 lbs negative to 2.3 lbs positive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom