"I'd like some LP85s, please." Lessons learned!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Fabers run about 1.5lbs lighter than Worthington's on average. More suitable for warm water diving. Still trying to discern why longer tanks would make you head-heavy though. It would seem the opposite would be the case...

A similar discussion occurred earlier about the different trim characteristics of AL80's. Catalina's are butt-heavy as compared to Luxfers...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/337127-al-doubles-catalina-luxfer.html

Fabers are butt light, worthingtons are more heavy on the butt. Us and few of my friends have those tank, fabulous tanks but they require a tail weight.

But I only own one set of 85s, and Peter was using my HP100s. All we had left was LP72s, which I loathe . . . so I asked my friend in Monterey if he could acquire a set of LP85s for me, and he said he could.

I arrived in Monterey, and we set up for the first dive. These 85s were odd -- much thinner and longer than mine. (Turns out mine are Worthingtons, and his were Fabers.)

And so the mystery of why you have said that you love LP85s and hate LP72s is solved. :wink:

I always think of LP85s as the 7" diameter, 26" length tanks that are more or less neutral empty, basically a little bigger than LP72s and with a higher service pressure. Although I've never dove with them, I have always assumed they'd be fairly similar to my LP72s because they're so close in shape, size, and buoyancy. When you raved about the LP85s, it almost inspired me to try to trade my beloved RAM for a set.

I have heard of 7.25" LP85s, but I've never seen them. The chart that I use for tank specs (tdl) shows worthingtons as also 7", 24.7" long. I bet that's a mistake, it must be 7.25".

Do you know the exact specs for your LP85s?

And so the mystery of why you have said that you love LP85s and hate LP72s is solved. :wink:

I always think of LP85s as the 7" diameter, 26" length tanks that are more or less neutral empty, basically a little bigger than LP72s and with a higher service pressure. Although I've never dove with them, I have always assumed they'd be fairly similar to my LP72s because they're so close in shape, size, and buoyancy.

You are kind of right in that regard - they are quite similar.

TSand M...I almost left a mask print on the bottom of the shallow portion of the local quarry when I first tried my brand new set of double Faber HP-117 earlier on this spring. Initially I was not too sure if it was my technique, drysuit (Fusion), tanks or a combination of all of the above. When I drift or swim around everything feels fine but doing hover work becomes at time an exercise in frustration. On my next dive I will use tail weight and see where that takes me

Sooooo, what did you see on those dives while looking like an uncomfortable doofus? What made it all worthwhile?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom