ID this Sherwood first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
The photo is of a Sherwood (at least, I think so -- does anybody else do the dry bleed thing?) first that I'm mucking about with. It's probably 15 years old, maybe more. It has three LP ports (the standard 3/8") and one HP port (also 3/8").

The only markings are "PAT. PEND" on the only face that doesn't have a port, and "3500" stamped into the yoke. By the time I got it, and probably originally, it came with a Sherwood Magnum Blizzard (photo 2) (further supporting the Sherwood theory.)

(The next steps will be new washers, filter, and HP seat, but I figure first I need to know exactly what it is before I can hunt parts.)

Thanks.

lairdb:
The photo is of a Sherwood (at least, I think so -- does anybody else do the dry bleed thing?) first that I'm mucking about with. It's probably 15 years old, maybe more. It has three LP ports (the standard 3/8") and one HP port (also 3/8").

Thanks.

Sorry I don't have a # or proper ID for you, But I know it is a sherwood and it is about 20+ years old at least. This was the first reg I bought and that was in 1984.

derwoodwithasherwood:
It looks like a Sherwood SRB3205.
Doh, derwood beat me to it!! And I know why...

He's right. It would be the SRB 3205 first stage to a 1980s Sherwood. I know for a fact it was used on the Sherwood SRB 2100 Brut, at least; and apparently also the Magnum and Blizzard, according to the service manual.

I've got one of those Bruts, original owner. It had been lying in the attic for 14 years, but I just got it serviced; it's working fine. Consensus is it's pretty much bulletproof, and parts kits are still available.

I'm surprised this same first stage was used on the Magnum and Blizzard... I also have a Magnum that dates from the same time; in storage somewhere halfway round the world, so I can't look at it. But I seem to remember the Magnum had two HP ports; but I may be mistaken.

Only thing you'd need to check is whether it's got an old (pre-1988) piston in it. That old piston had a crimped-in HP seat that wasn't removable, and that whole piston needed to be replaced at annual service -- though apparently it was easy enough to cut off the crimping and replace the seat. The new post-1988 piston had/has a removable seat; the new piston with seat and o-rings is still available too. The new piston obviously only needs to be installed once, and then the seat just needs to be changed annually.

Those were the days when you had to pay attention which port you screwed your HP and LP hoses into. I've got an adapter for the more-modern SPG that's on it now.

--Marek

derwood and Marek seem to have nailed it, including correctly deducing that it would have a crimped-in HP seat. Thanks, all.

Marek K:
Doh, derwood beat me to it!! And I know why...
:rofl: It's the time difference kicking in. Either you need to get up earlier in the morning or I need to get to bed on time.

Or did my Sensei mean to say he knew how I identified it...? :japanese:

lairdb:
derwood and Marek seem to have nailed it, including correctly deducing that it would have a crimped-in HP seat. Thanks, all.
One thing to add about the piston business. Make sure that you obtain the piston that has the flow control element in it. This is not the current piston as they have the element in the first stage body.
I also think that I read somewhere something about shims. You won't need any. The ip is adjusted by rotating the bottom of the first stage. You have to loosen the nut first though.

Back
Top Bottom