ideas and suggestions on the design of the "perfect" dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw your add in the most recent edition of Sport Diver. Cool.

I saw your add in the most recent edition of Sport Diver. Cool.

I saw that too, but it immediately brings a couple questions to my mind...

The ad amounts to a picture of a (prototype?) ScubaCapsule alongside a wish list. Two of the items on the wish list are a nitrox analyzer and underwater communications system.

There has never been any mention on your web site, facebook page or here about the ScubaCapsule providing either gas analysis or diver to diver communication (other than the obvious usse of the iPhone on the surface...).

What capabilities does the ScubaCapsule have for these features, or are they "a future upgrade" feature?

Last edited:
The Nitrox Analyzer is a wireless device with O2 and CO sensors embedded onto the Din or Yoke scuba tank valves. We are still trying to find better carbon monoxide sensors, and also trying to make the calibration process more user friendly... We just believe that the calibration process that require to connect either exact 20.9% O2 or 100% O2 before testing the Nitrox mix is not the greatest and smoothest method to calibrate the device. The Scuba Capsule "Tank Tester" sends all sensor readings wirelessly to the Scuba Capsule app, so divers can quickly check the EANx %, as well as detect deadly CO (possibly also CO2).

Now, regarding the underwater communication there are two methods that we are working on at the moment, and we will be ready to reveal all the details soon. We know already that sending messages in the radius of 50ft underwater is doable, and all the electronics fit in the housing, but there is a few issues that we are checking with Apple guys at the moment. The underwater messaging system in Scuba Capsule not only allows sending pre-defined text messages to all devices in the range, but it also functions as the voice command device, so for the first time in the history divers are able to virtually say anything underwater to their buddies, without the need of full face mask and expensive underwater radios.

Have you guys heard about some reasonably priced underwater microphones? There is no chance to capture sound with the camera housings we have here, and we would like to make a video with sound, so you can hear how Scuba Capsule voice prompt system works. I don't really want to risk taking my recorder in a plastic bag underwater...

I would be totally interested in this....especially if Wireless Transmitter compatibility was up. I have a Droid and an iPod touch....and while I'd prefer a Droid-compatible setup I'm flexible. Hopefully you'll get a Droid and micro-USB version running soon.

Sorry if it's been answered, but can any Wireless Transmitter work with this, or JUST the proprietary one, or just select others? Also, does this have the capabilities to read multiples? IE, if I get my fiancee a transmitter can I read hers and mine?

Here's a few add-ons I've noted in my own wish list:

Personal Locator Beacon or Nautilus-like GPS/Radio add-on
Sonar add-on
External Camera/Light add-on

Actually, I dive to get away from my phone, but as an idea...this is brilliant.

This is an exciting concept. Good luck.

Actually, I dive to get away from my phone, but as an idea...this is brilliant.
I really want to be less attached to all of my gadgets. As a full time live aboard, I like the idea of less devices that are multifunction. Although that housing is going to be bigger than a stand alone dive computer. Much bigger, nicer and easier to read display is a huge plus too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom