If a tank fail hydro, what happen to it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to throw in my 2 cents here. Don't forget that upon failure of the hydro test the facility is required to x out the DOT rating AND notify the customer in writing of the failure.

Maybe it passed, the dive shop thought it had been abandoned, and now it is a rental?

Hello everyone, I read the first two pages of this thread then scanned through the rest so forgive my question. Can any quote the CFR that commands a shop to deface (with the xxx) a tank that fails a hydro?
\
James

Found this one

When a cylinder is required to be condemned, the retester shall stamp a series
of X's over the DOT specification number and the marked service pressure or
stamp "CONDEMNED" on the shoulder, top head, or neck using a steel stamp.

Alternatively, at the direction of the owner, the retester may render the cylinder
incapable of holding pressure.

(iii) When a cylinder is required to be condemned, the retester shall notify the
cylinder owner, in writing, that the cylinder is condemned and may not be filled with
hazardous material for transportation in commerce where use of a specification
packaging is required.

(iv) A cylinder that is condemned may not be filled with hazardous material for
transportation in commerce where use of a specification packaging is required
and may not be marked as meeting the requirements of this section or any DOT
exemption. No person may remove or obliterate the "CONDEMNED" marking

49 CFR 180.205.C.2.i "Stamp a series of X's over the DOT specification number and marked pressure or stamp " CONDEMED" on the shoulder, top head or neck using a steel stamp." Only a certified Hydro retester may do this.
49 CFR 180.205.C.3 also states the retester must notify the owner in writing that the cylinder is condemned and may not be filled with Hazardous material( yes, compressed air is considered hazmat)
49 CFR 180.205.C.2.iii also allows a retester to render the cylinder incapable of holding pressure instead of obliterating markings "at the direction of the cylinder owner"
In short 49 CFR 180.205 General requirements of requalification of specification cylinders is where you want to look for the no BS answers.

This is the kind of stuff that is needed for these discussions BZ for posting this.

Do you have the reference stateing that upon failure of a hydro test the tank IS TO BE CONDEMNED WITHOUT POSSIBILITY OF RETESTING TO NETGATE THE INITIAL FAILURE STATUS.

That added to your list should cover all the what if's that could be possibility asked.

SB should have a forum on testing and inspection.

again good job on the post.

49 CFR 180.205.C.2.i "Stamp a series of X's over the DOT specification number and marked pressure or stamp " CONDEMED" on the shoulder, top head or neck using a steel stamp." Only a certified Hydro retester may do this.
49 CFR 180.205.C.3 also states the retester must notify the owner in writing that the cylinder is condemned and may not be filled with Hazardous material( yes, compressed air is considered hazmat)
49 CFR 180.205.C.2.iii also allows a retester to render the cylinder incapable of holding pressure instead of obliterating markings "at the direction of the cylinder owner"
In short 49 CFR 180.205 General requirements of requalification of specification cylinders is where you want to look for the no BS answers.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 12:27 PM ----------

here are a couple of links associated with this topic i am sure there are more somewhere

edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/pdf/49cfr180.205.pdf

General requirements for requalification of cylinders.

Do you have the reference stateing that upon failure of a hydro test the tank IS TO BE CONDEMNED WITHOUT POSSIBILITY OF RETESTING TO NETGATE THE INITIAL FAILURE STATUS.

It is right in the CFRs that you posted a reference to:

Title 49 180.205 (c)

(2) Each cylinder that fails requalification must be

(i) Rejected and may be requalified in accordance with § 180.211 or

(ii) Condemned in accordance with paragraph (i) of this section.

If you read 180.211 that pertains to DOT 4 Series cylinders. Scuba cylinders a series 3 i.e 3AL or 3AA thus by default the only option is to condemn the cylinder. Note the phrase "must be".

I AM NOT SURE HOW IT HAPPFENED, but i had posed the question and then later went to find teh cfr and thought i put it in a new post adn when all was done it was the same post as the question. I dont think there is a way to reject a tank for failing the hydro part and that it must be a failure. the visual portion is the only part that can have a rejection in lue of failuere to it. i have never seen the verbage "post added' before. from glancing over the cfr i did not see verbage saying retesting after failure is not authorized. Thanks.

It is right in the CFRs that you posted a reference to:

Title 49 180.205 (c)

(2) Each cylinder that fails requalification must be

(i) Rejected and may be requalified in accordance with § 180.211 or

(ii) Condemned in accordance with paragraph (i) of this section.

If you read 180.211 that pertains to DOT 4 Series cylinders. Scuba cylinders a series 3 i.e 3AL or 3AA thus by default the only option is to condemn the cylinder. Note the phrase "must be".

The retest facility may retest the cylinder as it may have been an equipment malfunction. As a practical matter, most will not due to time constraints. So its just up to them. When it fails they have to condemn it in the prescribed manner.

Dale

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

In the case of a malfunction of the test equipment, the test may be repeated at a pressure increased by 10% or 100 psig, whichever is less. This paragraph (g) does not authorize retest of a cylinder otherwise required to be condemned under paragraph (i) of this section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom