If I stop finning, I adopt a vertical position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only seen that 'as standard' on sidemount systems. It's a good, direct, solution for trim issues. That said, the same result can be obtained using trim weights on cam-bands, proper weighting and some study/adjustment of body positioning.

Well cam bands put the weight in a non optimal location. Clearly if you want to have a bias for a face down horizontal position, that ballast is best placed low (like a keel) in a sailboat and the bouyancy needs to be higher up.

When diving with a thick 7 mm wetsuit in cold water with multiple layers, i rigged a 2-lb bullet weight into each shoulder strap and it helped but was not real comfortable.

Something that is very effective for the head up problem: I've also used ankle weights placed around the neck of the tank valve on aluminum tanks to get my head down when i really needed it.. when commercial golf ball diving, which involves running on the bottom and being weighted so you are constantly tipping forward and stumbling along the bottom. Always wore some non-ditchable lead around the tank neck/valve. That really is a very simple solution.

g1138 my post was not as clear as I would have liked. I did not intend to mean the weight should be added just moved from one place to another to change the center of gravity.

The optimal place for some lead is often on the harness and in front of the shoulders. How come nobody seems to manufacture a solution?

XS Scuba makes pouches that hold up to 5# of solid weights that can be slid on to 2" webbing with a quick release pull handle or one that has a Velcro closure that wraps around 2" webbing. The velcro Quick Attach pouches work on cam bands or on chest straps. The quick attach pouches can be mounted on the chest straps and zip tied to a D ring to hold them in place, I know this works as I use them on my rig.

Zeagle also make a 2" weight pouch that will attach to a 2" webbing chest strap.

XS Scuba makes pouches that hold up to 5# of solid weights that can be slid on to 2" webbing with a quick release pull handle or one that has a Velcro closure that wraps around 2" webbing. The velcro Quick Attach pouches work on cam bands or on chest straps. The quick attach pouches can be mounted on the chest straps and zip tied to a D ring to hold them in place, I know this works as I use them on my rig.

Zeagle also make a 2" weight pouch that will attach to a 2" webbing chest strap.

thanks I did not know that...

I'm in the same boat in that I'm leg heavy. As others pointed out you need to move your center of gravity forward (towards your head) , easiest by moving some lead from waist to top tank band into a XS Scuba trim pocket.

It's also helpful to use the minimum amount of lead so you carry minimum air in your BC. First set your correct weight, then move the weight around to set correct trim.

Adam

It's also helpful to use the minimum amount of lead so you carry minimum air in your BC. First set your correct weight, then move the weight around to set correct trim.
Amen brother!

The first trick is to weight with NO air in your BC at 15' with 250 to 500# in the tank. I hover off the bottom and drop weights into a gamebag on the bottom using 1 and 2# weights. Repeat later to check. You will be able to feel the difference on the next dive.

The air bubble on your back will pull you up and the belt on the waist will pull down making you vertical. Jacket BC's are made to do this so you can be a cork on the surface.

Bob
-------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

IMO you are likely overweighted. Dial in your buoyancy, then tackle the trim (moving weight and tank etc.)

Trim and weighting has been pretty well covered by everyone posting before me so I will leave that as is. However, gear can also have a large impact on how you are positioned in the water. For example, I have seen many people who had "lead feet" while diving a wetsuit suddenly have the problem greatly reduced or even eliminated when the switched to diving with a drysuit. Another item to look at is your BC. Many types of BC's just aren't balanced as well as others. I do a lot of technical diving where hovering at the same depth is critical to my safety so this is a very important subject for me. I use the Halcyon Evolve wing with a steel backplate (which helps reduce weights in pockets) and it has served me very well. Finally, g1138's picture is an excellent example of the perfect "hover position".

I really appreciate your help guys.. I forgot to add, this was in Zanzibar so I only had a short wetsuit. Demondiver, I really liked the link you provided. After reading it, I do think I could reduce my weight from 4kg to 3kg. Bob DBF, your suggestion to take weight off while hovering is definitely something I'll try.
Thanks all.

Steel doubles. That will eliminate your foot heavy problems! :D

Back
Top Bottom