If you could choose from Alor, Lembeh (or Palawan Philippines) where would you go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NHalzee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at best dive sites for December 20th to December 30th and curious which of the following folks recommend: Lembeh, Alor or Palawan Philippines. I was in Raja Ampat in December 2019 but looking for a new area to explore.

Are you familiar with muck diving? Lembeh is mostly about muck/macro diving looking for strange and exotic critters. It's a world class destination for muck diving not everyone's cup of tea but I love me some muck.
Alor is harder to get to and with only a few resorts to choose from but great diving for reefs and macro.
Palawan is not really a widely known diving destination, there are much more highly rated destinations in the Phillipines.
@NHalzee if you let us know what your looking for in a destination we can probably give you better feedback.

No doubt: Alor❤️ But I’m not sure December is the best time there.

Early December is fine for Alor, but by the end of December, things can start getting rainy. Be sure to check with whoever you decide to book with about your dates.

It is also rainy season for Lembeh but that being said I have been in January and have had beautiful weather. Big question is what do you hope to see? Also Alor currents are not the best for beginners or people not used to strong currents. They can be unpredictable and strong.

Just got back from Alor. Normally the resort is closed just before Xmas for several months. They are trying this year to extend to the end of the year. All that to say end of December might be iffy. Lembeh and Alor are completely different. Lembeh is almost entirely muck diving with a few reefs available for those who want them. Alor is more reef diving in strong current areas with pretty good muck diving available for those who want that. The schedule at Alami was two reef dives in the AM and then either an afternoon or night muck dive. If enough people wanted to muck dive to fill a boat then the two morning dives could be muck dives in the bay.

Alor has way more variety in dive sites, but in my limited experience has fewer of the really strange creatures you can find at Lembeh. However, I have done dozens of muck dives in Lembeh and only 4 in Alor so…

As a first time diver to the area Alor gives a broader experience than Lembeh. Alor is less crowded, and much more difficult to get to. It does have significant current. We were mostly able to either avoid it or go with it.

#1 Alor no contest but could be quite touchy end of december : bucketloads when it rains.
Alor has way more variety in dive sites, but in my limited experience has fewer of the really strange creatures you can find at Lembeh. However, I have done dozens of muck dives in Lembeh and only 4 in Alor so…
This year the macro was pretty bad in Alor, I had very few critters in August on a few dives in Kalabahi bay.
On a regular year it's one of the best places in Indonesia for rhinopias sightings (this year Tulamben in Bali was/is still overcrowded with them).
I've already seen Hairy and mosaic octopus, lots of froggies, various kind of shrimps (Coleman, harlequin..) or nudis (Phyllodesmium, eubranchus, marionia sp.) in a good year. It seems they are very seasonal or yearly dependant in Alor more than anywhere else.
Currents are something typical in Alor but a good operation who knows exactly the tides and sites configuration will always manage to deal with less currents (unless you need some). That's why it is preferable to dive Alor with resident resorts than with liveaboards who are less accustomed with Alor divesites.

Lembeh is great for black sand macro. However I understand it can be boring if you're not into that (even for me, macro photographer, I can't stay more than a week in Lembeh)

Palawan is certainly not the best dive spot in PIs. Why Palawan???

Just got back from Alor. Normally the resort is closed just before Xmas for several months.
Why do they typically close several months? I'm not familiar with Alor, and that sounds like a lot of lost potential business. Is it weather-related, sea conditions, or what?
Alor is more reef diving in strong current areas with pretty good muck diving available for those who want that. The schedule at Alami was two reef dives in the AM and then either an afternoon or night muck dive. If enough people wanted to muck dive to fill a boat then the two morning dives could be muck dives in the bay.

Currents are something typical in Alor but a good operation who knows exactly the tides and sites configuration will always manage to deal with less currents (unless you need some). That's why it is preferable to dive Alor with resident resorts than with liveaboards who are less accustomed with Alor divesites.
Seriously doubt I'll ever make it there, but I'm curious about Alor as a general regional topic on ScubaBoard. Seems like most every time I see Alor mentioned on ScubaBoard, it's in glowing terms. One would think a destination like that would get a lot more press.

And yet...Raja Ampat and Komodo hog the spotlight, with Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands seen as diving peers (also with WW 2 wrecks) but more expensive and involved to get to, if I understand correctly, and somewhat less likely to have the same level of amenities westerners are accustomed to. At least, that's the impression I've gotten from discussions online. So it makes a bit of sense where they fit in as desired and frequented dive destinations.

Where does Alor 'fit?' From a map, looks like it's pretty close to Komodo, and might have similar conditions? So why does Komodo seem better known here? Is Alor for people who've been to Raja Ampat and Komodo and want similar great diving but to get in a new destination? Or should is it an 'hidden gem' destination that, where it better known, would be stealing a lot of business from the other two?

Out of curiosity, since you’ve currently visited, how would you rate the reef diving in Alor to other destinations? Same/worse/better? Exceeded expectations or disappointed? Would you go again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom