If you had only 1 day to dive while in Bali...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mtnpool

mtnpool

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Will be going to Bali for a family vacation with wife and young daughter for 4 nights, so trying to only spend 1 day diving (well maybe 2 if it's not a full day affair) as I want to spend time with family as well. Been to Tulamben in the past for diving, and will be staying in the Kuta / Nusa Dua area - what would be recommended for a one day dive trip? Always wanted to see Mola Mola, so was thinking of Nusa Penida since they can pick up from hotel and go by speed boat. There seem to be a lot of options for day trips for diving, does anyone have any better suggestions?

Also, since I'm only going to be diving for one day, probably doesn't make sense to bring all my own gear... what do you guys usually do? Just rent everything? Or at least bring your own regulator? I have a DIN regulator, do shops have DIN here? If not I guess I can either bring my DIN to Yoke converter or a backup Yoke reg.

Any recommended dive ops? The last time I went diving in Bali was more than a decade ago.

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions!

That would be awesome if Mola Mola are already there, I heard some other person say they don't really start up until September. 20°C - I'll just dive with whatever suit they recommend. Thanks!
Yes, usually the start of the Mola mola season is mid-end of august.

Manta is almost guaranteed at Manta point, the hardest part will be spotting a Mola mola, on Crystal bay but it can be on Buyuk, Toyapakeh or somewhere else too (I've even seen 3 on Manta bay on an afternoon dive!).

However they might be early this year, in another thread ChillyInCanada posted this on July 15th, you might be lucky...
By the way, mola mola started showing up a week ago!

Yes, usually the start of the Mola mola season is mid-end of august.

Manta is almost guaranteed at Manta point, the hardest part will be spotting a Mola mola, on Crystal bay but it can be on Buyuk, Toyapakeh or somewhere else too (I've even seen 3 on Manta bay on an afternoon dive!).

However they might be early this year, in another thread ChillyInCanada posted this on July 15th, you might be lucky...

Nice, I’m scheduled to go to Nusa Penida this Saturday, fingers crossed!

I can do one more day of diving - Might do Tulamben as that is what Two Fish suggested, but I’ve done that in the past and would prefer seeing something new, and also avoid the longer drive since I’m staying in Nusa Dua.
Thanks!

As much as I love Tulamben, it's a long drive for just one day! It's min 2 and half hrs from Sanur, there and then another 2 1/2 hrs back!!
I'd suggest Padang Bai if you want to get some macro in.
My thoughts exactly, and I also was asking them about Padang Bai, just waiting for them to confirm if available. Thanks!

Nice, I’m scheduled to go to Nusa Penida this Saturday, fingers crossed!

I can do one more day of diving - Might do Tulamben as that is what Two Fish suggested, but I’ve done that in the past and would prefer seeing something new, and also avoid the longer drive since I’m staying in Nusa Dua.
Thanks!

I dived Gili Tepekong and Gili Mimpang out of Candidasa a few years back (usually accessed from Padang Bai I think). Awesome sites and potential for Mola Mola too. Recommended.

I believe there are several other interesting sites in the Padang Bai / Candidasa area so that would make sense from your location.

I'll be in Bali with my family in 2 1/2 weeks (Amed then moving to Padang Bai). Can't wait!

Please update this thread - I'm interested to hear how it went for you.

and I also was asking them about Padang Bai, just waiting for them to confirm if available. Thanks!
Padang Bai is also another option for Mola mola, they are often seen on Gili Mimpang and Gili Tepekong (the small rocky islands seen off Candi Dasa). Although these are not focused macro dives.
Edit : UFOrb was quicker than me.

For the record, Aquamarine Bali's facebook wall lists 4 mola mola seen on Crystal bay on just one day on different dives last week. Seems this year will be productive.

Padang Bai is also another option for Mola mola, they are often seen on Gili Mimpang and Gili Tepekong (the small rocky islands seen off Candi Dasa). Although these are not focused macro dives.
Edit : UFOrb was quicker than me.

For the record, Aquamarine Bali's facebook wall lists 4 mola mola seen on Crystal bay on just one day on different dives last week. Seems this year will be productive.
Water must be pretty cold at Crystal Bay. 😄

I dived Gili Tepekong and Gili Mimpang out of Candidasa a few years back (usually accessed from Padang Bai I think). Awesome sites and potential for Mola Mola too. Recommended.

I believe there are several other interesting sites in the Padang Bai / Candidasa area so that would make sense from your location.

I'll be in Bali with my family in 2 1/2 weeks (Amed then moving to Padang Bai). Can't wait!

Please update this thread - I'm interested to hear how it went for you.
Unfortunately I’m only OW certified, and AOW is required for Candidasa. Long story but I’ve dived all over the world and never been asked for more than OW diving to 30m+, drift dives, hook dives…but I realized living in Taiwan that I can’t go on most boat dives without an AOW cert. So I took my first 3 adventure dives the other day and will do the other 2 next week when I get back home!

So my only options tomorrow are Tulamben or Amed, as there aren’t any guides available for Padang Bai tomorrow… which would you guys recommend?

Unfortunately I’m only OW certified, and AOW is required for Candidasa. Long story but I’ve dived all over the world and never been asked for more than OW diving to 30m+, drift dives, hook dives…but I realized living in Taiwan that I can’t go on most boat dives without an AOW cert. So I took my first 3 adventure dives the other day and will do the other 2 next week when I get back home!

So my only options tomorrow are Tulamben or Amed, as there aren’t any guides available for Padang Bai tomorrow… which would you guys recommend?
Considering six hours in car/bus and that you have already been to Tulamben... I'd recommend chilling on the beach in Nusa Dua...but thats just me.

Unfortunately I’m only OW certified, and AOW is required for Candidasa. Long story but I’ve dived all over the world and never been asked for more than OW diving to 30m+, drift dives, hook dives…
And they're taking you to Crystal bay for Mola mola?... Errh...

There are other dive shops as well. Have you tried asking to Aquamarine Bali for instance? (one amongst others)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom