If you had only 1 day to dive while in Bali...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mtnpool

mtnpool

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Will be going to Bali for a family vacation with wife and young daughter for 4 nights, so trying to only spend 1 day diving (well maybe 2 if it's not a full day affair) as I want to spend time with family as well. Been to Tulamben in the past for diving, and will be staying in the Kuta / Nusa Dua area - what would be recommended for a one day dive trip? Always wanted to see Mola Mola, so was thinking of Nusa Penida since they can pick up from hotel and go by speed boat. There seem to be a lot of options for day trips for diving, does anyone have any better suggestions?

Also, since I'm only going to be diving for one day, probably doesn't make sense to bring all my own gear... what do you guys usually do? Just rent everything? Or at least bring your own regulator? I have a DIN regulator, do shops have DIN here? If not I guess I can either bring my DIN to Yoke converter or a backup Yoke reg.

Any recommended dive ops? The last time I went diving in Bali was more than a decade ago.

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions!

I'd take the long drive and dive Amed or Tulamben and skip Padangbai , the diving in Padangbai was marginal at best and I shoot a fair amount of Macro

Considering six hours in car/bus and that you have already been to Tulamben... I'd recommend chilling on the beach in Nusa Dua...but thats just me.
Yeah that’s tempting as well, but I’ve recently been re-bitten by the diving bug after being away for almost 4 years, so Tulamben it is tomorrow! Last time I was there was 14 years ago anyway.

And they're taking you to Crystal bay for Mola mola?... Errh...

There are other dive shops as well. Have you tried asking to Aquamarine Bali for instance? (one amongst others)

I’m not sure if it’s definitely Crystal Bay, it’s just one of the potential sites on their list for Nusa Penida, and they said it will depend on the conditions.

Unfortunately this trip was so last minute didn’t get to contact others, and originally wasn’t even going to be here until Thursday. Will definitely plan ahead next time. At least next time I’ll have my AOW. Thanks.

I'd take the long drive and dive Amed or Tulamben and skip Padangbai , the diving in Padangbai was marginal at best and I shoot a fair amount of Macro

Thanks, I’m going to Tulamben tomorrow, your comment makes me feel better not going to Padang Bai!

...the diving in Padangbai was marginal at best and I shoot a fair amount of Macro...
Nonsense. The best macro dive in Bali is out of Padang Bai.

The best macro dive in Bali is out of Padang Bai.
Maybe not the best but I agree with you it's nonsense saying that Padang Bai macro is marginal at best.
I remember Jetty having 4 rhinopias around.
Besides that the slug/crustacea/even frogfish species you will find in PB are different from what you find in Tulamben.

Last winter, at Padang Bai, at my request, I dove one site over and over again. The corals were so healthy and there was a find every moment. That said, every close in site offered different variety. Leaf fish, ribbon eels, nudibranc . . .oh I wish I was there now!

Last winter, at Padang Bai, at my request, I dove one site over and over again. The corals were so healthy and there was a find every moment. That said, every close in site offered different variety. Leaf fish, ribbon eels, nudibranc . . .oh I wish I was there now!

Oh well, will definitely try to hit Padang Bai on my next visit! I didn’t bring a camera for macro this time anyway, just my GoPro. I wish Olympus would release the TG-7 already so I can get one. Borrowed a TG-5 and the built in macro was amazing!

Attachments

• _7230154.jpeg
    _7230154.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 42
  • _7230125.jpeg
    _7230125.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 44
  • _7230133.jpeg
    _7230133.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 47
Nonsense. The best macro dive in Bali is out of Padang Bai.
You live there so you’ve probably dove it during lots of different conditions, When I was there it was maybe 10 foot vis at best and lots of sediment in water , so again my experience not nonsense at all lol

You live there so you’ve probably dove it during lots of different conditions, When I was there it was maybe 10 foot vis at best and lots of sediment in water , so again my experience not nonsense at all lol
Every dive, every day?

In any event, I've seen the most macro on those kinds of dives because I need to be close. Nothing against you, I prefer to dive with better conditions myself.

For me, the worst time was when the water was so damn cold at Padang Bai, I had to pull out my Crystal Bay gear to try and stay warm.

I did see Mola Mola and a whale shark and a couple of weeks after I left there was a great white sighting.

But I also saw many other smaller wonderful creatures too.

Back
Top Bottom