Illinois divers, check in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abnjm once bubbled...

I ususally dive a bit further North. Are there any good wrecks on the south side of the lake?

Yep, especially around Chicago.

I live in the city and have been to Haigh Quarry, Pearl Lake, and some wreck diving out of Milwaukee. If you are interested in wreck diving, I hear there are some great books by Chris Kohl.

I was certified this summer and have been using Scubaboard to find buddies. I have met up with some great people from this website.

Happy diving.

I'm just across the border in Indiana. Haige is about 50 min for me. I just got my drysuit and spent the morning in the pool. fun. fun. fun. I really do not know what I am going to do in the next few months for my scuba fix! Anyone crazy enough to keep diving?... not that it's been cold or anything lately!

Hantzu

hantzu701 once bubbled...
I'm just across the border in Indiana. Haige is about 50 min for me. I just got my drysuit and spent the morning in the pool. fun. fun. fun. I really do not know what I am going to do in the next few months for my scuba fix! Anyone crazy enough to keep diving?... not that it's been cold or anything lately!

Hantzu

I'll keep diving, plenty of people do.

What's Lake Michigan diving like in the winter? I just found out I may be moving to Chicago by the end of the year. Any boats running in the winter months? Where do people get dives in locally?

I hope you guys don't mind a Wisconsinite chiming in. Re: boat going out in winter. Jerry Guyer/ Len-der out of Milwaukee runs through the winter on Lake Michigan. You'll need a pony rig, but you can dive the Prince Wilhelm( The Willy) and other Milwaukee area wrecks.
The boat is slow, but well equipt. Its a good operation and personally I would like to patronize it more myself.
Just because its winter does not mean the season is over. You can still go out on lake Michigan and nothing freezes over until January or February. If your diving wet, which I did for many years, just pump warm water into your suit before you go down. You will be suprised just how comfortable you can be.
When everything does freeze over, get yourself ice certifed. It sounds nasty, but its really not. Its a blast. In Wisconsin and Illinois you really can dive year around. I sure do. Try it, you'll like it!

Jim

SwimJim once bubbled...
I hope you guys don't mind a Wisconsinite chiming in. Re: boat going out in winter. Jerry Guyer/ Len-der out of Milwaukee runs through the winter on Lake Michigan. You'll need a pony rig, but you can dive the Prince Wilhelm( The Willy) and other Milwaukee area wrecks.
Jim

I dove the Willy with Jerry Guyer last summer, and nothing was said about needing a pony rig. Is thiat like a cold weather thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom