I'm getting free equipment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you chrge an hour?

Well, I'm not a computer or network technician so I do not have an hourly rate. I'm just the guy that everyone seems to call when they are having problems with their computers or when they want Linux installed. It usually works out pretty good though...I can usually track down the problem pretty quick and I'm paid a decent amount money or given something in exchange. I've been paid with all sorts of stuff before....everything from a Dell laptop to a Makita reciprocating saw.

From what I've been told about the problem, it sounds like it should be fairly simple to fix. The file and printer sharing has been acting up for the entire office so it's probably just a matter of reconfiguring the firewall or checking that the networking switch is working properly. I figure it probably won't take more than a couple of hours to fix.

How old is the gear he wants to give you?

From what I understand, the gear isn't but about 4 or 5 years old and the only reason he has it is because his wife just got him new equipment. My boss said that he thinks that the stuff was serviced back in May, but I'll have to verify that. Either way I plan on getting it checked out before I go diving with it.

hambone79:
Well, I'm not a computer or network technician so I do not have an hourly rate. I'm just the guy that everyone seems to call when they are having problems with their computers or when they want Linux installed. It usually works out pretty good though...I can usually track down the problem pretty quick and I'm paid a decent amount money or given something in exchange. I've been paid with all sorts of stuff before....everything from a Dell laptop to a Makita reciprocating saw.

Well you still have to have an Idea of what a certified technician with the same level of experience would charge, then with you not being certified you could come up with an idea of approximately how much you time is worth. Then figure if its a fair trade, if you think so then do the deed! :wink:

I want to dive too, somebody hook a brother up with a fin and a snorkel please. :)

hambone79:
From what I understand, the gear isn't but about 4 or 5 years old and the only reason he has it is because his wife just got him new equipment. My boss said that he thinks that the stuff was serviced back in May, but I'll have to verify that. Either way I plan on getting it checked out before I go diving with it.

My question would now be..why did she get him new gear if it was only 4 or 5 years old and so shortly after having it serviced. Don't know that he would be selling crap but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom