I'm thinking Sand Dollar, but.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from staying at the Den Laman and give it 5 stars.
Modern and safe.

Well, I just booked the first week in February. Will be staying in a 3rd floor one bedroom apartment. I think it'll be a good choice for us. We're just doing shore dives....no boats. I think we'll like the freedom. I'm a little concerned about entries and exits (we're both about 64 and my wife will need my help getting in and out, but I think we'll manage fine).

We're renting a truck from Telerin because of the many favorable comments here, including the ease of pick-up and drop-off. It'll cost a bit more than the credit we get from Den Laman for excluding it from the package, but we'll save that back using Amex for our insurance.

One issue we'll have to figure out is equipment. I have my own gear, but Cathy only has a wetsuit and computer. Renting the rest (BCD, regs, mask, fins, snorkel) will run over $160 for the week. (We paid $60 last month at the Blue Angel on Cozumel.) It may be time for her to buy equipment. She doesn't want to lug it down there, but it would probably also avoid equipment problems (like we had on Coz).

The other thing we'll have to figure out is restaurants. They seem to be relatively expensive there. We enjoy trying local food, but not paying $40 each for a dinner. I'm guessing we'll eat all breakfasts in the condo and some of the lunches. We'll see.

Overall, I think DL will be a great choice for us. Looking forward to it.

Thanks, again, everyone.

Ron

Ron curious what you mean by local food--what I think of as local food doesn't cost $40 each for dinner. Eating out at gourmet restaurants
on Bonaire could set you back $40 each.

You will be really pressed to find any rest on Bonaire where you CAN spend $40 each- excluding alcohol. I always hear about Boniare rest being expensive but compaired to rest here in Raleigh, I see little difference. My wife and I spend an average of $35-55 for the 2 of us for meals on Bonaire- no alcohol, my average bill here in Raleigh is about the same- Chinese buffet the other night was $30.

Ron curious what you mean by local food--what I think of as local food doesn't cost $40 each for dinner.

Chauncy, maybe it seemed expensive to me at the time because I was there (on my first dive trip) with my grown son. He didn't blink at the prices (maybe because he wasn't picking up the checks), but they seemed high to me....maybe because it was a father-son trip and my wife was home in wintry Baltimore (and I was loving Bonaire and maybe feeling a bit guilty overall). I found my file from that trip. The more memorable places we ate were Casablanca (specialty was the mixed grill for two), Bobbiejan's BBQ (I remember thinking that the prices seemed high for what is essentially a roadside take-out place), and most-interesting Maiky Shack (which was extremely "local"...set on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere).

Ron

We're renting a truck from Telerin because of the many favorable comments here, including the ease of pick-up and drop-off. It'll cost a bit more than the credit we get from Den Laman for excluding it from the package, but we'll save that back using Amex for our insurance.

I've used the Amex Premium Car Rental Protection insurance with Telerin too. I later reviewed the Amex policy and discussed coverage options with my local auto insurance agent. A word of caution... the Amex insurance only covers damage to your vehicle and injuries to it's occupants. It doesn't cover damage to other vehicles or injuries to 3rd parties if you're found to be at fault in an accident.

I now purchase the Amex policy ($24.99 per rental period, up to 42 days) and the ~$12/day CDW policy offered by Telerin. In event of an accident Amex covers the $500 deductible for Telerin's CDW, plus damages incurred beyond the limits of the CDW. Telerin's CDW covers typical damages, beyond their $500 deductible, including third party liability.

IMHO both policies has unique benefits that justify the expense.

Ron
Maiky Shack is indeed what I'd call local and is not $40 a person. there are two colombian restaurants and at least two local restaurants
besides
Maiky Shack that are way below the $40 per and closer to $30 for two. Only problem with local restaurants is that they close early more lunchtime places. colombian restaurants are open for dinner.

Ron,
I agree with your thought- It's best to bring your own equipment and to be very familiar with its features, rather than renting and not really knowing what you may find available.

As far as entries, there are a few sites that offer easy access to the water. One that comes to mind just now is windsock, which derives its name from its location just across the western end of the airport runway. This is a popular beach area and access is good.

Some resorts have steps from their docks, which make access convenient and easy. One that comes to mind is Buddy Dive Resort. You don't need to be staying to gain access- just ask permission and they should let you in. Another thing to consider is trying some boat dives. They are short trips, convenient and generally take you to areas you can't drive up to, with healthy reefs and abundant wildlife. Boat dives are usually guided.

If you have a chance, check out an e-book available on Amazon.com called "Diving Bonaire" by George Lewbel. The book is probably 5 bucks and well worth it. You should be able to read it on your computer and even your smart phone too.... The book gives a good overview of different sites and access.

One of our favorite sites is called Tori, and it located south of Kranlendijk, head past the salt pier, and keep an eye for the second outfall canal that is in use by the salt works, just as you pass the second bridge (2 small bridges - less than 100 feet each) park on the south side of the second canal and inspect the area. The canal has some stable boulders that you can use as steps in and out of the water. This site is great for spotted eagle rays as they tend to feed in the shallow sand flats. The reef is pretty nice and you have a shallow shelf to transition from.

As far as food. One option for budget conscientious times is to stock up at the grocery store. Their is one relatively new market called Van Den Tweel, located along Kaya Industrial. They are open from 8am to 8pm every day. Bread is really good.... Some opinions may differ with the statement I'm about to make, but overall, I find Bonaire a place to unwind and enjoy the natural beauty. People are really nice, friendly and laid-back. I would suggest leaving high restaurant expectations for other locations. I'm not saying you can't find great food, it's just not as easy nor the island is conducive to restaranting around, so when I go, I tend to leave my foody expectations home.

One last tip.... There is free ap for iPhone (hope you have one) called "Bonaire App" by Crapps travel. It's really good to start reviewing it's map, and see where different restaurants, atm's, supermarkets, etc.etc. are located in relation to your hotel. The ap has many other very convinient things to know and have at your fingertips. Again, this is free and while its not great, it's good to star with.

Enjoy your trip to Bonaire.

Well, I just booked the first week in February. Will be staying in a 3rd floor one bedroom apartment. I think it'll be a good choice for us. We're just doing shore dives....no boats. I think we'll like the freedom. I'm a little concerned about entries and exits (we're both about 64 and my wife will need my help getting in and out, but I think we'll manage fine).

One issue we'll have to figure out is equipment. I have my own gear, but Cathy only has a wetsuit and computer. Renting the rest (BCD, regs, mask, fins, snorkel) will run over $160 for the week. (We paid $60 last month at the Blue Angel on Cozumel.) It may be time for her to buy equipment. She doesn't want to lug it down there, but it would probably also avoid equipment problems (like we had on Coz).

The other thing we'll have to figure out is restaurants. They seem to be relatively expensive there. We enjoy trying local food, but not paying $40 each for a dinner. I'm guessing we'll eat all breakfasts in the condo and some of the lunches. We'll see.

Overall, I think DL will be a great choice for us. Looking forward to it.

Thanks, again, everyone.

Ron
Given your age and that its your 1st time on Bonaire I would suggest getting some boat dives in. Boat dives are really cheap there and you can still go shore diving whenever you wish to. Much easier than going off a beach where you can easily twist an ankle.
You will find that eating out there is very much the same as eating out at home.Not really much more expensive, and many times cheaper than home. Usually our dinner bill is $35.-$50. or less for the 2 of us.. All depends on where you go and what you order. Try Mi Banana restaurant and say hi to Carlos for us. Good local type food and alot of it and inexpensive.

Given your age and that its your 1st time on Bonaire I would suggest getting some boat dives in. Boat dives are really cheap there and you can still go shore diving whenever you wish to. Much easier than going off a beach where you can easily twist an ankle.
You will find that eating out there is very much the same as eating out at home.Not really much more expensive, and many times cheaper than home. Usually our dinner bill is $35.-$50. or less for the 2 of us.. All depends on where you go and what you order. Try Mi Banana restaurant and say hi to Carlos for us. Good local type food and alot of it and inexpensive.

We're staying at Den Laman, which is on the Bari reef, which folks really like. So, we'll probably do our first couple dives there. I didn't get boat dives in our package, but you're right....they're very reasonable to add once we're there. My wife has never been there, but I have been (once, four years ago with my son). My memory of the boat dives vs. the shore dives (we stayed at Captain Don's): the DM was probably the least helpful of any I've seen in several warm-water trips and our bottom times were limited due to the boat schedule. I was a bit anxious about the two of us (newly certified) going off on our own for shore dives, but we managed fine and loved the freedom. I'm still not a great diver, but have over 200 dives, so I don't think I'll be nervous about the dives....maybe a little about getting the two of us into and out of the water, but I'm optimistic.

I put Mi Banana on our list of restaurants to try.

Ron

---------- Post Merged at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:14 AM ----------

I've used the Amex Premium Car Rental Protection insurance with Telerin too. I later reviewed the Amex policy and discussed coverage options with my local auto insurance agent. A word of caution... the Amex insurance only covers damage to your vehicle and injuries to it's occupants. It doesn't cover damage to other vehicles or injuries to 3rd parties if you're found to be at fault in an accident.

I now purchase the Amex policy ($24.99 per rental period, up to 42 days) and the ~$12/day CDW policy offered by Telerin. In event of an accident Amex covers the $500 deductible for Telerin's CDW, plus damages incurred beyond the limits of the CDW. Telerin's CDW covers typical damages, beyond their $500 deductible, including third party liability.

IMHO both policies has unique benefits that justify the expense.

I'm surprised that even the premium Amex policy only covers your vehicle and passengers. Clearly not a good option on its own. It sounds like you're saying that the Telerin CDW policy covers both vehicles and all passengers, but you consider their limits too low (plus the first $500 is on the renter). Given the speeds we'll be driving there, it seems very unlikely that I'd need high limits and I'll take my chances on the $500 deductible. (One reason I'm using Telerin is their reputation suggests that they won't try to scam me demanding payment for a minor or pre-existing dent.)

Ron

Back
Top Bottom