I'm thinking Sand Dollar, but.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,
Mi banana is one of the two colombian restaurants I was referring to. great spot. the other is El Forgon Latino. also good. even though they are both colombian they are different.[h=3][/h]

The more memorable places we ate were Casablanca (specialty was the mixed grill for two),

Was that not an incredible amount of food for two people! Honestly, it could feed four hungry people and six folks if they ate just a reasonable amount of food. Me and a buddy got it and stuffed ourselves and then had it for lunch a couple of days. When we go we eat out every night and only once or twice have I exceeded $40 and that was because I had to have a fu-fu drink like a pina colada (or two). Make sure you go over to Buddy Dive on Friday night. They usually have a buffet on the beach for like $20 each and it's a lot of food.

So, when I look at the Sand Dollar website, their pricing seems similar to what's on VRBO (when you take into account the whole package....truck rental and diving). However, the package they advertise includes a dive package with Dive Friends Bonaire (one mile away), not the on-site op (Bonaire Dive and Adventure).

We're flexible on travel dates (would like to go some time in February), Sand Dollar seems like a great choice for us (probably not four star luxury, but very nice), but we want to be confident we're getting a great unit and the on-site dive op.

Any advice?

Ron
As someone above posted, Dive Friends now operates a branch directly out of Sand Dollar. As I understand things, the Sand Dollar dive operation is open to renters staying at either Den Laman or Sand Dollar. Dive Friends is installing (or already has installed) a floating dock right in front of Sand Dollar and will be running boat dives from that dock. Again, available to Sand Dollar or Den Laman renters. Bonaire Dive and Adventure is being bypassed. Dive Friends prices seem to be significantly less expensive, too--$160/wk unlimited air/nitrox vs $195 for BDA. $28 for a DF boat dive vs $33 for BDA.

I'm surprised that even the premium Amex policy only covers your vehicle and passengers. Clearly not a good option on its own. It sounds like you're saying that the Telerin CDW policy covers both vehicles and all passengers, but you consider their limits too low (plus the first $500 is on the renter). Given the speeds we'll be driving there, it seems very unlikely that I'd need high limits and I'll take my chances on the $500 deductible. (One reason I'm using Telerin is their reputation suggests that they won't try to scam me demanding payment for a minor or pre-existing dent.)

Ron

I don't know what the Telerin CDW coverage limit is. Just wanted to point out that Amex coverage doesn't include liability for damage/injury to 3rd parties, but it does cover the Telerin CDW $500 deductible, plus provides coverage for the rental truck separate from the CDW coverage.

IMHO most Bonaire claims will typically be for dents, scratches, and broken glass and will fall under the $500 deductible limit. We rent for 3 weeks, so $25 one-time fee for Amex insurance is a no-brainer for us.

Dive friends Bonaire has just opened up a new shop on the property at Sand Dollar

Are you sure about this? I know they recently finished extensive reconstruction of their Hamlet location, but this is the first I've heard that Dive Friends has a shop @ Sand Dollar(?).

Yes, check out sand dollars website. They have already opened the dive shop new dock coming soon.

The other thing we'll have to figure out is restaurants. They seem to be relatively expensive there. We enjoy trying local food, but not paying $40 each for a dinner. I'm guessing we'll eat all breakfasts in the condo and some of the lunches. We'll see.
Follow the links at the bottom of the individual listings here - many list menus with prices. Bonaire Dining Guide

When I eat out on Bonaire, I'm used to entree' offerings being around $15 to $17 (and I go for 'Catch of the Day' a lot of the time, not the most expensive on the menu, but not the small stuff, either). If you get water for a drink (probably wise, since on Bonaire I generally don't get free refills with sodas) and don't get an appetizer you can keep costs down. If I get an appetizer for the table (2 or 3 people share), maybe another $8 to $10? (Memory vague on that). And of course, soft drinks will tack on some money.

My point is, you don't have to spend $40/person for supper at mainstream restaurants. I like City Cafe' and Wil's Grill, both of which are quite popular. There are others.

Found a web page for City Cafe' 'relaunched.' Click here, then under Feast Your Eyes run your mouse arrow up & down, and meal times should display. I think this link will get you a PDF of their supper menu. Their prices should be roughly conquerable to what you'll find elsewhere.

Richard.

Yes, check out sand dollars website. They have already opened the dive shop new dock coming soon.

Re Dive Friends at Sand Dollar, here is a quote from the Sand Dollar website:
Guests diving with Dive Friends have the benefit of being able to participate in their first day orientation briefing at any time during their normal business hours of 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
That is a really nice change from the rigid, one time per day, long winded orientation by the adjacent Bonaire Dive and Adventure.

You have to wonder what will happen to BDA. I would think a lot of their business came from Sand Dollar but if a large part of that starts using Dive Friends, which is likely, then BDA could be in for a rough time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom