I'm thinking Sand Dollar, but.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to wonder what will happen to BDA. I would think a lot of their business came from Sand Dollar but if a large part of that starts using Dive Friends, which is likely, then BDA could be in for a rough time.

Exactly.

Since Sand Dollar is only using Dive Friends for their packages, it'll definitely make a difference for newer divers to Bonaire.

For repeat divers, I think a lot might depend on where your condo is at Sand Dollar, and how convenient Dive Friend's access to Bari Reef will be. BDA has a super easy dock to get tanks and to dive from, making it a very attractive option. Also now that they've done away with their weird, restrictive hours and have 24 hour tank and gear storage access, there isn't that barrier any longer.

We've used BDA on all of our trips (3 for 2 weeks each), have found them easy to deal with and never had a hassle, and we plan to use them next year. We've also seen orientations happen in the afternoon (many times) and really like their tankroom set up in the parking lot. We stay at Den Laman, so that makes it far more convenient than Dive Friends will be.

Time will tell, but you gotta wonder what BDA did to tick Sand Dollar off!

Time will tell, but you gotta wonder what BDA did to tick Sand Dollar off!

BDA raised its prices substantially and refused to fill Sand Dollar owner tanks or provide them with gear storage capability. This, despite the FACT that the BDA dock and (I think) the gear storage building are actually owned by a company created in the aftermath of Hurricane Lenny (1999) by Sand Dollar owners for the very purpose of keeping a dive shop operational at Sand Dollar. Many of these owners no longer dive from BDA facilities because of the constraints imposed by Andre, as BDA majority owner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom