Importance of compass on the console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That depends a lot on the underwater terrain. I've dived quite a few sites where it's really difficult to navigate by just your surroundings. And viz of course plays an important role; I'd like to see someone try to navigate in 3-4m viz without a compass.

I've made a habit of taking a compass bearing on my planned direction as one of the things I do during my pre-dive check. It's prevented more than one embarrasing incident...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I agree... Not all dives are equal. I've done some low/no Viz diving. Usually, if there's enough viz to dive there's enough viz to see something, even if it's only ripples in the sand. If I can't see that, it's a working dive and I better be getting paid.

On shallow dives, I sometimes like to go minimalist and dive sans computer, watch, compass, etc. I don't like things on my wrists for long periods of time. I have more than a couple multi-hour, multi-tank, <40ft, dives where I had to look at the time left on the parking meter and do the math to calculate my total BT. I've actually stood in the parking lot going - Let's see, it was 8AM when I left the truck, I put 6 hours in the meter, there's 15 minutes left on the meter, it's a 50min swim each way, I had a ~15 SI swimming from one dive site to the other, so my BT was...

My beef is they changed the maximum parking time to 4 hours several years ago at my favorite site, so I've had to ask random people on the beach to put money in the meter for me before they leave. Fortunately, everyone has been helpful and I've never been burned. I haven't had to do that for a few years now, since the wife sits out the long dives and will monitor the parking meter. She used to get nervous when she could no longer see my dive flag from shore. Now it's old hat... :cool2:

Lots of opinions, but the right answer is every competent independent diver should carry and know how to use a compass. Having one on the console is convenient, but so is having one on a retractor. Some like a wrist mount, but I prefer the other two. Absent compass skills, you will be relegated to "trail ride" dives, following the leader. Worse, you will subject yourself to ascents and descents to know where you are, increasing the change for DCS, lung expansion injuries, and also increased air depletion. I have a nlog post on navigation for recreation divers I invite all to read. Bottom line get a compass, learn how to us it, use it on every dive.
DivemasterDennis.

I did my first night dive a couple of weeks ago. I found out my vision isn't good enough in the dark to be able to discern between the cardinal points on my console compass (Mares Mission 3). Swimming in the dark I couldn't tell if I was headed west or north (it was the shallow area of a quarry so the consequences of being wrong weren't large). If I buy another compass I'll look for one where North is distinctive. One larger in diameter might be a good idea also.

I like having a compass even on shallow reef dives. Even if you are doing "prairie dog" navigation, it amazes me how easy it is to get turned around just getting from the surface back down to your dive buddy. If you have a compass and take a good sighting, it's easy to re-orient yourself once you're back down. I wear mine in a bungee boot sized to fit on the back of my left hand. I find it easier to hold it level than on my wrist. YMMV

I always have my compass clipped to my right D-ring on my BCD, if I am diving a new place I take some bearings to shore or whatever islands may be around before descending so I usually have some idea where I am underwater. Locally I usually know where I am diving.

Certainly helped me out in a few occasions when I have drifted off whilst diving solo

I feel like it makes more sense to have all your gauges together, so a quick look can tell you all you need to know. By this I mean air, computer, and compass in a cluster.

I feel like it makes more sense to have all your gauges together
You 'feel'. Have you tried it?

Sure, everything in one place is a compelling concept. However, is it ideal for taking out a bearing and following it? As this thread shows, that's not the case for all divers, so everyone must find out what's best for them: on the console, clipped to a retractor or on the wrist or forearm. I've tried two of the three options, and for me the wrist mount works best for actually using the compass for what I got it for: navigation. It's so much better that it more than outweighs the slight disadvantage of having another separate gadget I have to remember to bring. But I won't say that that's the best option for everybody, because YMMV.

... But I won't say that that's the best option for everybody, because YMMV.

Ok Stoker...tonight I learned a new internet Acronym. YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary - "everyone will have different results or opinions."

I've been looking at various entry level kits and low end computers. The one thing I've noticed is that a lot of the consoles don't have a compass. How important is to have one on the console...or even having one at all?

I see in some cases the computers have digital compasses, but I have to say I'm not fond of digital ones as they seem to lose calibration periodically.
I seldom dive without a compass. I won't say I never do, but it is infrequent.

I generally do not care for consoles at all - large, bulky, cumbersome, at least for me. So, I am used to wrist-mount gauges, with the exception of the SPG. However, I actually prefer having my compass on a retractor, clipped to my right chest D-ring (and secured with a piece of inner tube), to having my compass on my wrist. That works the best for me - I pull it out in front of me as needed, and let it retract when it isn't. I have also carried a compass in a pocket on my exposure suit, and pulled it out to use (I also have taken my wrist mount compass off the wrist and held it in my hands in front of me) at times.

One of my computers (Liquivision X1) has a digital compass. I use it from time to time, primarily for coarse navigation, In particular, at night I like it because the OLED screen is SO-O-O readable. It isn't much trouble to re-calibrate.

Find what works for you. Learn to use a compass with proficiency.

Find what works for you. Learn to use a compass with proficiency.

Honestly...that's it in a nutshell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom