Importance of Log Book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no logbook for my dives from 1962 to 2000. I started logging in June of 2000 when I decided I wanted to do some international dive travel and that operators in my destinations would probably want to see my logged dives.

The importance of a log book is in the eye of the beholder. I have logged all 897 dives since August of 1997. I did not log my dives from 1970-1980, I wish I did. To each their own.

What are the benefits to logging dives? What is this information used for? Do the logs have to be signed/stamped by a dive shop to be considered legitimate? Any help with these questions would be great! Thanks!

Some diving courses (mostly technical diving: decompression diving, helium diving, cave diving, ...) have a certain amount of dives as a requirement.

If you want to become a dive guide (aka divemaster) then you need to have done a certain amount of verifiable dives.

If you have two pages of hand written record per dive, then no-one who is mentally sane is going to question the log. If the log is just a list of dates, then you would really need signatures.

The real benefit of keeping a diary (a divelog) is that you will review what you have done. That is a method of learning and it can be quite enjoyable. And finally: memories for life. Photographs are nice, but they do not tell it all. You really need some prose.

I dove for more than 35 years without logging my dives but started in June of 2000 when I realized I'd be traveling internationally and a log may be necessary to verify I've actually done a certain number of dives and recently (since my c-card is from the 1960s). Once in the habit I kept it going and nowe have about 3,000 logged dives over that time period. Hopefully that will be enough to satisfy any dive operator I travel to dive with.

I dove for more than 35 years without logging my dives but started in June of 2000 when I realized I'd be traveling internationally and a log may be necessary to verify I've actually done a certain number of dives and recently (since my c-card is from the 1960s). Once in the habit I kept it going and nowe have about 3,000 logged dives over that time period. Hopefully that will be enough to satisfy any dive operator I travel to dive with.

What would you estimate as your total dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom