importance of long back plates for tall people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad this topic was regurgitated. I am 6'4" and try as I might, I just can't seem to get my freedom plate to fit me comfortably. By the time I get the plate high enough to barely touch the top, the shoulder straps are too close together and create a very uncomfortable angle to the waist strap cut-outs. I'm talking digging into my shoulders and armpits uncomfortable. I am thinking a different plate with wider shoulder strap cut-outs might make the difference. Thoughts?

Also, the waist belt sits so high on my belly that my crotch strap has to yank it down to be effective. It just doesn't feel right.

Does anyone know of an extra long aluminum plate out there that won't break the bank? I'm getting on the phone with Randy (Piranha) on Wednesday but would like to know before hand just what's out there.

Thanks in advance.
Scuba Force sells long backplates: BACKPLATES, no idea on cost, or even who a dealer is in the US.
Short plates have finally caught on with multiple manufacturers, maybe long ones will too.

Bummer... I was able to get long and x-long plates from DSS when they were in business. My Freedom Plate is also a custom length. My VDH Vintage plate was modified by cutting in lower slots for the waist.

Seems none of these are available...

There is a vintage plate available in a long (can't remember the maker).

At 6'-7", I really needed the length...

SubSea Sports...

SubSeaSports...
long but flat. that does not look comfortable.

The black devil long looks perfect but damn, that's pricey.

While nothing beats a Freedom Plate, I have no issues with a flat plate. I've even used it with doubles in a wet suit, and with just a rash-guard in warm water single tank vacation diving.

I’m using the SP S tek plate, it’s 17” long and the overall comfort is great, it’s silly pricy but very well made, I do the webbing differently than most and integrate weight, they also have the same plate in aluminum.

... Also, the waist belt sits so high on my belly that my crotch strap has to yank it down to be effective. It just doesn't feel right. ...
Isn't this exactly what you want (if you're wearing a single-piece webbing harness)? Isn't this what permits your shoulder straps to be loose enough to allow you to doff and don without needing a shoulder release? When you tighten your waist strap, the crotch strap will pull the front of the waist strap (and the back plate, too) downward, to "cinch" down your rig.

rx7diver

Isn't this exactly what you want (if you're wearing a single-piece webbing harness)? Isn't this what permits your shoulder straps to be loose enough to allow you to doff and don without needing a shoulder release? When you tighten your waist strap, the crotch strap will pull the front of the waist strap (and the back plate, too) downward, to "cinch" down your rig.

rx7diver
if that's the case it is mighty uncomfortable. especially when the shoulder straps dig into my armpit. maybe i'll bring it down to bonaire in june and one of you good folks can straighten me out.

if that's the case it is mighty uncomfortable. especially when the shoulder straps dig into my armpit. maybe i'll bring it down to bonaire in june and one of you good folks can straighten me out.
I'm trying to visualize this (i.e., your shoulder straps digging into your armpit). I can't picture how this would happen unless your shoulder straps are too tight.

I wear a (loose-fitting) single-piece harness on my VDH classic double hose reg plate and on my SS Freedom Plate. I use a crotch strap with these two rigs. For me, my crotch strap cinches everything down, and my shoulder straps are NOT uncomfortable. Note: My harness webbing is NOT that very thick, stiff type, though.

I wear a webbing harness that has a shoulder release (a weight belt buckle) now with my old, 1994-era Dive Rite Al doubles back plate when I wear my isolation-manifolded baby doubles (Faber LP 50's). I cross the harness behind my neck. I do NOT wear a crotch strap with this rig. This is how I wore my HP100/120's for several years early on when I was doing Great Lakes wreck dives. I can certainly imagine the waist strap on this rig being uncomfortable if my back plate were too short (since it would be too high up on my diaphragm). But I'm thinking that the shoulder straps would be uncomfortable only if my shoulder straps were too tight.

Might simply have to do with our personal body builds, though.

rx7diver

I dove standard diverite plate for years. I finally got fed up and built this,
20211018_091022.jpg

I am long torso, long arms,
Trying to reach hip D Rings was a pain. I would have to reach up more, to get it.
It makes a drysuit fit nicer, not as tight on the shoulder,
And easier to get in and out of the shoulder straps,
plus it great for clipping off a 40 cuft pony to the lower more centered Dring

Back
Top Bottom