⚠️IMPORTANT WARNING FOR ALL DIVERS ⚠️ Fast-spreading lethal disease (potentially SCTLD) has reached Bonaire’s reefs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A recent article (November 2022, attached) "confirms the potential for ship-born spread" of SCTLD in ship-ballast water. Cruise ships carry a lot less ballast water than cargo ships; I assume this is because their displacement is not radically altered by loading or offloading cargo. There are plenty of cargo and fuel ships coming into Bonaire, of course. I haven't found a reference for the number of cargo vessels or cruise ships which come to the island, but it seems quite likely that the greater volume of ballast water comes from cargo vessels.

One of my pandemic pursuits was watching with dismay as SCTLD moved around Grand Cayman. It started off of Rum Point in June 2020, and over the next few months it moved around the entire island, with Seven-Mile Beach succumbing last. The entire circumference of the island impacted by November 2021. Rum point is not at all close to the cargo and cruise-ship ports, which are not only well around the island from Rum Point, but are, in fact, quite close to Seven Mile Beach. Grand Cayman has about 400 cargo-vessel visits per year. (AGRRA has a SCTLD map here).

Cuba is not far from the Caymans. To date, there are no published reports of SCTLD in Cuban waters. While this could be related to a lack of information, there are recent reports and videos of healthy reefs on the south side of Cuba, and there are also no reports of SCTLD on either Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, which are ENE of Grand Cayman and SW of Cuba. The ocean currents prevail from the east. There are also many fewer ships--cargo or cruise--coming to Cuban ports, despite an enormously-greater population. (We are visiting Jardines de la Reina in January and will report first-hand).

This all suggests to me--and this is certainly stitching together a number of inferences--that SCTLD has perpahs moved from island to island in vessel ballast, mostly cargo ships, and then circulated around the islands through local currents, boats, and divers. An early study of the progress of the disease once established found that it was "spreading at about 100 meters per day to the north and about 92 meters per day to the south" in the Florida Reef Tract. That seems more like currents and boats than recreational users, but that's my conjecture.

There is so much left to learn. The large and growing cast of researchers has not yet nailed down whether SCTLD is viral, bacterial, or (as seems most likely) an opportunistic stew of both. Or the impact of ocean warming, which of course is known to weaken the resistance of corals to disease and so likely plays some role. Treatment methods are limited to treatment colony-by-colony once infection is detected. Fortunately, it has not yet been found off the east coasts of Nicaragua, Costa Rica or Panama, but work is already being done to evaluate the risk to Pacific corals.

Ugh.

Attachments

• SCTLD article.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
C4850001-C8DE-4A41-B012-7F78D7B477A1.jpeg

personal opinion, thank you
You started the thread and titled it about SCTLD. The post about a mooring issue at a dive site is Off Topic. Wrong thread, Dude.

Reactions: L13
You started the thread and titled it about SCTLD. The post about a mooring issue at a dive site is Off Topic. Wrong thread, Dude.
thank you for your opinion

This is not the right thread to post this.
You don't understand. Just because the thread title says it's about Stoney Coral Tissue Loss Disease possibility on Bonaire, it's not about SCTLD. It also says "Bonaire".

So, in spite of the provincial (and excessively narrow) understanding that the thread is actually about SCTLD, **ANYTHING*** that has to do with Bonaire is fair game here in this thread: The quality of the ribs at last Thursday night's AYCE Rib-Tacular at Blennies, the cost of beer at Van Den Tweel's, seeing a donkey, getting a flat tire on the rental truck, upcoming Rum Week, what's going on at the dilapidated PDVSA terminal, how to keep stuff from getting stolen out of your truck down at Red Slave, etc. You name it, it belongs here!

At least that's the opinion of some.

The large and growing cast of researchers has not yet nailed down whether SCTLD is viral, bacterial, or (as seems most likely) an opportunistic stew of both. Or the impact of ocean warming, which of course is known to weaken the resistance of corals to disease and so likely plays some role.
This remains bizarre to me. It's a big issue of widespread concern. With the disclaimer that arm chair quarterbacking is easy, I'm surprised nobody has replicated inducing it in lab settings that we know of.

It seems like an agency could set up a number of reef tanks with healthy but susceptible corals, then introduce suspect organisms and combinations of organisms in an effort to induce SCTLD. Given how quickly and pervasively this spreads, if I understand correctly, it seems like once you hit the right conditions, it'd be demonstrable.

A big problem with that is that viruses are so tiny and can be hard to detect. Even so, if you deliberately set up a SCTLD tank (e.g.: brought in infected wild corals) and used tank water to then infect other tanks, seems like water samples shown to convey the disease could be analyzed.

Which is much harder than it sounds, because of the host of varied microbes in non-sterile reef water, creating a 'needle in a haystack' effect.

@RyanT and others with a research background, do you have any insights on why SCTLD's causative organism or organism has been so hard to pin down?

P.S.: Analogous issue - did anyone ever figure out what was causing the sea star wasting disease off California? IIRC, that was a big concern awhile back, but I haven't heard of it for awhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom