In search of Divemaster Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who commented nicely to my question-I got the info I needed & won't be checking this thread again as I have a path to follow now that will give me the education/training I was looking for. My best to all of you.

A bit of pertinent info might be: where are YOU? (unless you are prepared to travel anywhere to get it done)

captainjen:
You know when your looking for someone to teach you the Divemaster program...and they give you the speech that there are two kinds of teachers: One who will just take $$ from you & give you a card without interning and there are others that do it the 'right' way and take you under their wing for months on end & don't pass you till they think your ready... and that they are that 'right' kind of teacher.....
So....where are all these instructors who will do it the easy way??? Cause I sure can't find any!!
I don't want to teach anything! I want Divemaster to learn more about dive theory & improve my own personal skills. I don't want to work on a boat, or become an instructor or anything like that, it's just a 'personal best' thing that I don't believe the Master Diver cert provides. It's not that I WANT to be a dive pro & want the easy way out...in fact, it's that I don't think Master diver is challenging enough & want more information...so I don't waste your time cutting me down that I'm lazy.
I'm certified up to rescue with my EFR, I did the mapping project, I did the knowledge reviews, I'm ready to take tests and I want to do my pool swims & skills...for me...to be a better diver...I don't want to spend 3+ months giving free labor to instructors when I have no intention of dealing with a student EVER.
So I keep hearing about these 'other' instructors....where are you?? Contact me & give me a price!!!

Without turning this into an agency thing ( I teach/taught for NAUI,PADI,ACUC,CMAS,TDI,SDI) take a NAUI Master Diver course, it will meet your needs for where you want to go(instructor level dive knowledge without the supervising/teaching students aspect), cost less and have no liability.

Best,

Chris

I'm in the Puget Sound region of WA state.
Travel would be possible if the logistics were right & if it were only for a few days to save on hotel $$ & such. The ultimate vagabond situation would be having someone pick me up at an airport, give me a couch to sleep on, drive me around, get my dive stuff done & drop me back at the airport-all of that included in an agreed upon divemaster package price! But I'm being funny now...
As for the NAUI recommendation, thank you very much, that sounds really helpful...everything I've done has been PADI...however, I have every divemaster study material & book aside from the 200 buck instructors manual...so my only hesitation would be wasting all this PADI stuff I bought(PADI- Put Another Dollar In!) and starting fresh with new material...but I'll start to research that & see whats required & such.
Thank you both very, very much!

It wouldn't be a wate at all, the NAUI text and a set of tables would run you less than $50, the PADI stuff has some good info in it that is fun learning anyhow.

captainjen:
I don't want to teach anything! I want Divemaster to learn more about dive theory & improve my own personal skills. I don't want to work on a boat, or become an instructor or anything like that

Then you don't want to be a Divemaster and the Divemaster class is not for you.

captainjen:
it's just a 'personal best' thing that I don't believe the Master Diver cert provides. It's not that I WANT to be a dive pro & want the easy way out...in fact, it's that I don't think Master diver is challenging enough & want more information...

Sounds like you've only looked at the PADI Master Diver program. As Chris mentioned, NAUI has an actual Master Diver class that teaches exactly what you want without giving you all the things you say you don't want.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the guidance...I'll be looking into NAUI pronto & will use the PADI materials as helpful reference materials.

captainjen:
I don't want to teach anything! I want Divemaster to learn more about dive theory & improve my own personal skills.

Save your money, save your time. You don't understand what being a Divemaster is all about.

You might want to think about DIR-F for skills, but I don't think you have that mindset either.

Good luck.

Take DIR-F.
If only to discover what you don't know yet.

NAUI Master Diver should be worthwhile for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom