In search of Divemaster Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like the others said, NAUI Master Diver is where you'll find the meat of what you're after. Even the NAUI Divemaster program isn't as tough academically as the Master Diver class since the DM program mainly focuses on leadership and liability.
Ber :lilbunny:

To Markdone: I do know what being a divemaster is abount-I've been around a ton of them & I've gone thru the all the training material-I KNOW what it is about & am simply trying to get the education level that a divemaster has without actually being employed as a divemaster. As I mentioned before, I'm looking for help & guidance in finding that training, not judgements from people who think they know what my 'mindset' is after reading a few lines of mine in a forum. And as for DIR, I start it next month & I'll do great despite what someone who doesn't even know me thinks that I don't have the right mindset for that either...what is up with crabby, judgemental forum people?? Forums are supposed to exist for sharing, not getting your moment on the soapbox.

when you get your NAUI Master Scuba Diver c card, that's a picture of me diving BTW!

cerich:
when you get your NAUI Master Scuba Diver c card, that's a picture of me diving BTW!
How cool! Remember the picture of the diver giving the "OK" sign that used to be on the DAN tags? That's from a picture of my husband taken by Dan Orr YEARS ago.
Ber :lilbunny:

I am sorry I assumed too much.

From your post, it appeared you thought Divemaster certification was simply an acquisition of dive skills and academic knowledge, and should not take too much of your time beyond taking appropriate written and skill examinations. You said you had read all of the materials, so my leap to a conclusion was that you had not taken the material seriously. There is considerable information there about what the position requires, so my take was you simply did not get it. If I was wrong, I stand corrected.

Since I am a divemaster, and you want to be one, I need to apologize for my abruptness. I do believe if you had asked me what it takes to become a divemaster, I would have told you it is a teaching position, and you have to demonstrate competence in teaching, not just knowing the material and the skills. You gain that competence in one of two ways - an internship, or a set of simulated student situations. There is no really short path.

As others, with more patience than I pointed out, there are more appropriate certifications and education paths for you. I still agree with them that would be your best bet.

yeah I helped with the photos for the new text books back in 98 when I lived in Cayman. My image is now everywhere in the NAUI text books,a c card, 3 or 4 magazine covers, a DAN ad and even some SDI/TDI textbooks...... kinda weird actually.

I remeber the tag that your hubby is on as well.

Good question captainjen, because I'm in the same situation as you. I could care less about teaching or the dive boat thing. I just want to learn/keep up with my skills. So, after reading this thread, I now know about the Naui master course.

Hey guys the NAUI master course is the best non leadership all around knowledge course I know of, just make sure the instructor you pick is up to the challenge!

For you DIR folks I know about DIR F and it is great ( I have done/passed GUE Cave 1) but in an ideal world taking it after the NAUI Master course with other students in the same boat would be the cats meow. But without the DIR aspects (gear,lifestyle etc) which some aren't interested in, then the NAUI Master with a good instructor is excellent.

Please let's not discourage someone from taking a class just because they don't want to employ the knowledge professionally. These classes can be a ticket to employment, but others might take them just for the satisfaction, and they should be encouraged to do so. I took a bareback riding course. I have no intention of becoming a competitive cowboy, I just wanted to learn something and spend my weekends on something more interesting that tv or golf. I took a welding class, and I don't expect to ever weld again. But it gets me out of the house, and I like the challenge. In each case, I heard the same thing, "If you're not trying to do this professionally, you don't belong here." My money is as good as anyone's and what I do in the future is my business. Choose the class you want, and ignore the critics.

americanoregon:
Please let's not discourage someone from taking a class just because they don't want to employ the knowledge professionally. These classes can be a ticket to employment, but others might take them just for the satisfaction, and they should be encouraged to do so. I took a bareback riding course. I have no intention of becoming a competitive cowboy, I just wanted to learn something and spend my weekends on something more interesting that tv or golf. I took a welding class, and I don't expect to ever weld again. But it gets me out of the house, and I like the challenge. In each case, I heard the same thing, "If you're not trying to do this professionally, you don't belong here." My money is as good as anyone's and what I do in the future is my business. Choose the class you want, and ignore the critics.

She didn't really want the DM course, but thought it would best suit her needs. It won't and now she understands there is a class better suited. Why should she take the DM class when the MD class is going to give her what she wants and the DM class won't.

Of course, if she still wants the DM class, no one is saying she can't take it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom