Inexpensive dive-friendly watch for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We get ours at Wal-mart: Sport watches rated to 100 meters. $15. :D

If you only need time and not depth then check out the large selection of cheap watches at Walmart. I bought one for around 7 bucks that is rated for 165 feet. The display has large numerals and backlighting. If I loose it or it breaks, so what? Another 7 bucks and I have a new one.

Sounds like a trip to Walmart/Target is in order...

One other question: I'm a fairly big guy, and my wrist PLUS thick wetsuit is no easy feat for a mere watch strap. And despite the potential cheapness of the watch, I'd rather not have to worry about it falling off or breaking during a dive or entry or something.

Is my concern legit and if so, any suggestions for dealing with it?

rjpv:
Sounds like a trip to Walmart/Target is in order...

One other question: I'm a fairly big guy, and my wrist PLUS thick wetsuit is no easy feat for a mere watch strap. And despite the potential cheapness of the watch, I'd rather not have to worry about it falling off or breaking during a dive or entry or something.

Is my concern legit and if so, any suggestions for dealing with it?
I actually bought my last two at Walgreens. I like the largest face and numbers possible....

offroaddiver:
I have a ironman edition timex that has great features that I've used for the last 3 years of diving. I saw the newer version (new colors) today at Target for $30. Countdown timer and lap memory is a must if you use it as a bottom timer.

Ditto... works well

There are still some TIMEX HELIX DM watched floating around at WalMart. I have some and they are nice with depth, dive time with auto start/stop, temperature and even the time of day. They are going for $20. Remember that they have been in the supply chain for a while and the battery may be on its way out a $3 fix.

Pete

Big wrist? no problem ---> Go to Home Depot or a Sewing craft store in your area & get a Velcro strap. You can use it with a wetsuit or over a drysuit ring. This is good accommodate a normal sized wrist in warm water and also be able to fit over a dry suit ring.

I put my watch/backup timer on my regs. I actually have a velcro strap on it that is smaller than you'd use for a wrist. Oh it's a Casio from Walmart. I suggest you get the watch from a large chain that will refund your maoney in the first 30 days if ANYTHING goes wrong with it. I returned 2 before I got a watch that didn't flood. My husband gave me a St. Moritz for Christmas but I cann't wear it in the water over a dry suit so it has to wait until the water warms.......at least enough for a wet suit.

Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom