Inexpensive dive-friendly watch for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangscuba98a:
I have the same watch but with the metal band. I have dove with it for about 4 or 5 years now and it's been a good watch and taken some major abuse and I mean major, above and below the water.
97 bucks on amazon.com, you can't go wrong.
I really like these watches because the crystal is just so damn thick. If you look at it from the side the crystal is convex on both sides of the glass (inside and outside of watch) which is perfect for resisting pressure at depth.
B000FF9GCI.01-A8NGTDCMCO53E._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V53585071_.jpg

Casio G-Shock DW 6600. Rated to 200M, instruction manual actually says you can use it for SCUBA, many of them don't recommend it in the instructions. This is the same watch used in some military underwater navigation boards. Has stop watch, count down and count up timers and you can push the buttons under water. Also works well as an every day watch, I wear mine 24/7. About $60 at WalMart.

I tried the $6 Walmart watches. They had a nice big display, but the buttons were not protected and somehow the timer got stopped part way through dives on at least two occasions. The Casio has small protrusions on either side of the buttons to keep this from happening.

John

Mmmmmmm...St. Moritz :D

i use the same freestyle shown above. was about $80 if i remember right but i love it. i tried the digital ones, but found them hard to see underwater. you have to have it at the right angle, etc. the analogs are much better IMHO. the hands, numbers and tick marks all glow underwater and in the dark which makes it easy to read as well.

I bought a Casio G-shock atomic/solar version last week at Costco for $40. Rated to 200m. Never set it and never have to change batteries.

With my skinny arms and 5mm wetsuit it just barely fit. Also the stopwatch buttons were very hard to push with gloves. Otherwise a great watch.

Unfortunately after one day of use I left it on the island. Glad it wasn't more expensive. Today I'm going to WalMart for a $15 model.

Jim

I concur with the Casio G-Shock crowd. A good watch for diving and every day. I use a computer, but for back-up I hit the "time memo" button when I start my descend. I've had bad luck with the real cheap watches. This one cost me $80 at Wal-Mart.

I used a Casio G-shoock for 12 years and it was a reliable dive watch. I now use a $7.99 Armitron Sport Watch water resistant to 150' for my back up timer for my computer. It's actually been on more dives than my computer so far and no problems.

AL

Casio G Shock, or Iron Man Triathalon. 200m versions. Either will serve you nicely. As others said, try out the buttons first and make sure you can push them with gloves on.

If the band is too short, most dive shops around here have long velcro replacement bands that are more then generous enough to first around a drysuited wrist.

If you prefer the analog option, I have a nice swiss army watch that I picked up at Costco for $60 that I usually use. All stainless, screw-in crown, etc. Expanding wristband works well going from normal everyday wear to wetsuit no prob, tho I don't think it will make it around a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom