Info Inexpensive Sidemount hardware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dann-Oh

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking for reasonably priced sidemount hardware kits. I have PST LP72s and Faber LP50s that I use for sidemount. I have been switching the hardware back and forth between the 4 bottles and it's become annoying. I have a bolt snap on a leash at the valve and another bolt snap on a cam band strap for the bottom attachment point.

I am looking to add a more permanent item (hose clamp) to the bottles for the bottom attachment point.

I looked at diverite and their kits are $80 per bottle. Which seems a bit expensive.

I also see that PiranhaDive has a similar kit for $20 per bottle.

The Piranha kit seems too good to be true. I'd really like to get 4 bottle kits for the price of 1 if the Piranha kits are good quality.

Has anyone ordered from PiranhaDive?

I'm not familiar with Piranha's tank rigging kit. Most of what I've ordered from there has been good quality, except for one item (this star-tool knockoff). A lot of their custom webbing hardware is really well made, which can be good if you really want to get into customizing your harness.

Do you have a link to the product page, their site can be a pain to search?

You can make tank-rigging yourself as inexpensively as a stainless-steel hose-clamp, paracord, bungie, and 2 bolt-snaps. Ideally, you'll wrap the hose-clamp, or put some nylon webbing underneath it, and a little more around the screw-area.

Here's an example of my "ultra inexpensive tank rigging." It's on a pony-bottle and not as "tight" as I'd make it with sidemount rigging, but adjusting it for SM would be fairly easy. Funny enough, the paracord rigging was meant to be a cheap hack on a pony-bottle I keep around as a loaner for other divers, but I actually like it better than the webbing-version you can see right next to it.

The easiest way to cover hose-clamps is "tubular webbing" material. Many of the dive-websites sell it, buy you can even find it on Amazon and various other websites.

20221130_143841.jpg

20221130_143901.jpg

20221130_143907.jpg

20221130_143929.jpg

I'm not familiar with Piranha's tank rigging kit. Most of what I've ordered from there has been good quality, except for one item (this star-tool knockoff). A lot of their custom webbing hardware is really well made, which can be good if you really want to get into customizing your harness.

Do you have a link to the product page, their site can be a pain to search?

You can make tank-rigging yourself as inexpensively as a stainless-steel hose-clamp, paracord, bungie, and 2 bolt-snaps. Ideally, you'll wrap the hose-clamp, or put some nylon webbing underneath it, and a little more around the screw-area.
Here are the links to Piranha's webpages. this link is to the kit for the PST LP72s this link is to the kit for the Faber LP50. Both Kits are $23

Buy some hose clamps, paracord, and 1" tubular climbing webbing and make your own?

Even then the DGX components are probably cheaper.

DGX Stainless Steel Sheathed Clamps

How much cheaper than 4 of the above hose clamps and some paracord do you want? What's your time worth?

I actually found this kit on DGX that looks pretty good and is comparable to the Piranha kits I was looking at. I'm happy with the $40 price tag

In all honesty if the group thinks that the piranha's kit is a good kit I'm happy to order it. My only hesitation is that I have called Piranha a few times over the last few weeks and I can not get ahold of anyone to talk to them about the kits. To outfit all my cylinders its a price difference of $70, which Id rather put towards a day of diving.

Here are the links to Piranha's webpages. this link is to the kit for the PST LP72s this link is to the kit for the Faber LP50. Both Kits are $23

I actually found this kit on DGX that looks pretty good and is comparable to the Piranha kits I was looking at. I'm happy with the $40 price tag

In all honesty if the group thinks that the piranha's kit is a good kit I'm happy to order it. My only hesitation is that I have called Piranha a few times over the last few weeks and I can not get ahold of anyone to talk to them about the kits. To outfit all my cylinders its a price difference of $70, which Id rather put towards a day of diving.
Randy is pretty good with email if you use that. It's a one man shop. Pirahna equipment is more than adequate for your needs.

Randy is pretty good with email if you use that. It's a one man shop. Pirahna equipment is more than adequate for your needs.
Awesome Thanks for the vote of confidence in Piranha.

Ugh, I'm an idiot. I found my email in my draft folder, apparently I didn't click send.

I haven't had any issues buying from Piranha so far. I just bought something a few days ago, it shipped within about 24-hours, and should be arriving today.

The Piranha and DGX kits are probably effectively identical, and both look fine to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom