Inflator leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife has an Oceanic Isla BCD. It's about two years old and has been perfect until now. Today I noticed that it is leaking air through the stainless inflator connector. I've never noticed because the hose is normally attached. I only noticed when I removed the hoses and inflated the BCD to allow it to dry.

The problem doesn't appear to be the stainless connector. It's tight and the o-ring is good. The air seems to be leaking through the normal holes. The problem seems to be that the inflator button is not fulling releasing. I'm sure it's just dirt or something that can be easily cleaned.

But I've never taken this part of the BCD apart and I'm afraid of breaking something. Can someone give me some advice.

Much thanks!

I never try to rebuild the inflator. There is SO much plastic that just a small amount of wear will cause it to leak. Just replace it! They are only $20-$30.

Wow. That is pretty cheap. I expected more.

BTW, when I took off the stainlesss nipple (not sure what else to call it) I could see the little pin with a tiny, tiny red washer that I think is supposed to stop the flow of air. I tend to agree that it's probably not fixable. I put hot, soapy water inside the inflator and it didn't seem to clear any debris.

Looks like it's time to buy a new inflator.

Thanks for your help.

Yep, they are a PITA to fix, if you cant clear it with a good soak and clean (try some dilute vinagar to clear the crud), then replace it.

Mark, the vinegar worked great! I soaked the inflator in a ~33% dilution for about an hour and now it works flawless. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom